Author Topic: Third-biggest egg farm in US catches fire, 21 fire departments respond to huge blaze that likely kil  (Read 1479 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Third-biggest egg farm in US catches fire, 21 fire departments respond to huge blaze that likely killed thousands of chickens
NEWS
PAUL SACCAJanuary 29, 2023

A massive fire engulfed a large egg farm on Saturday. The huge blaze likely killed thousands of chickens, and is expected to exacerbate the current dilemma of skyrocketing egg prices.

Around 1 p.m. on Saturday, a three-alarm fire was reported at the Hillandale Farms property in Bozrah, Connecticut.

WSFB reported that a total of 21 fire departments responded to the three-alarm fire, and it took firefighters eight hours to put out the blaze.

Norwich Firefighters Local 892 said a two-story, 400-foot by 100-foot chicken coop was on fire.

The fire was so large that it could be seen from miles away.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/egg-farm-fire-prices-chicken-killed
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
What an "unfortunate coincidence" the fire broke out about the same time as the oil fires. *****rollingeyes*****
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline roamer_1

Imagine that... Again... Again.

Offline LMAO

This cannot be coincidental
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Imagine that... Again... Again.

....and Again....   

There are no coincidences to this level of magnitude.  Our government wants to bring us to our knees.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline roamer_1

....and Again....   

There are no coincidences to this level of magnitude.  Our government wants to bring us to our knees.

Davos.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
The Biden administration will get right on it....as soon as it can be proven that the chickens in question were lesbian or transgender.

Online Hoodat

I paid $7 for a jar of mayonnaise today.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline berdie

I paid $7 for a jar of mayonnaise today.

It's crazy. But not only mayo...all condiments are stupid expensive. There are no eggs in ketchup or mustard. I don't get it.

Offline roamer_1

It's crazy. But not only mayo...all condiments are stupid expensive. There are no eggs in ketchup or mustard. I don't get it.

It ain't the cost of the food... It's the weakness of the dollar. Inflation.

Offline berdie

I can't counter that. I guess it is what it is.

Online Hoodat

Some dollars are more worthless than others.  Specifically, the dollars used to purchase mayonnaise.

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline roamer_1

Some dollars are more worthless than others.  Specifically, the dollars used to purchase mayonnaise.

I just paid seven bucks too - The last mayo I will buy till prices become sane.

I like home made mayo better anyhow... Just generally wasn't worth making it.

But I have eggs and oil in abundance... And it sure as hell won't cost me seven bucks to make a quart. I don't think it would cost me three.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I just paid seven bucks too - The last mayo I will buy till prices become sane.

I like home made mayo better anyhow... Just generally wasn't worth making it.

But I have eggs and oil in abundance... And it sure as hell won't cost me seven bucks to make a quart. I don't think it would cost me three.
Mayo doesn't come in quarts any more. That jar is now 30 oz., not 32.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

Mayo doesn't come in quarts any more. That jar is now 30 oz., not 32.

Still the same thing.
The main problem with home made mayo is that it don't keep for nothing. I couldn't use a quart of it in time anyway.

I am gonna try freezing it, maybe in ice cube trays. Then thaw a little at a time. Dunno, but it is worth giving it a whirl for the cost of store bought.

Online Smokin Joe

Still the same thing.
The main problem with home made mayo is that it don't keep for nothing. I couldn't use a quart of it in time anyway.

I am gonna try freezing it, maybe in ice cube trays. Then thaw a little at a time. Dunno, but it is worth giving it a whirl for the cost of store bought.
My point is that you are paying more for less if you buy a jar of Mayo than you paid for a year ago.
Remember when a can of Tuna was 6 oz, not just 5?
Same thing: "shrinkflation".
That jar of mayo is not a quart any more.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

My point is that you are paying more for less if you buy a jar of Mayo than you paid for a year ago.
Remember when a can of Tuna was 6 oz, not just 5?
Same thing: "shrinkflation".
That jar of mayo is not a quart any more.

Yeah... That's been happening most half my life.  :shrug:

Offline Polly Ticks

Yeah... That's been happening most half my life.  :shrug:

Or maybe just 45% of your life, again given the shrink-flation.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline roamer_1

Or maybe just 45% of your life, again given the shrink-flation.

Well, 'most-half' (of my life) assumes some allowance...  :laugh: :beer: :seeya:

Offline roamer_1

Really though, Smoke is right. If it looks like a damn quart, it ought to be a quart. There should be no need to look for the fine print.

It pisses me off.

@Smokin Joe

Online Smokin Joe

Really though, Smoke is right. If it looks like a damn quart, it ought to be a quart. There should be no need to look for the fine print.

It pisses me off.

@Smokin Joe
I noticed the smaller jar right away when I picked one up.
Reading the fine print only confirmed it.

Same shape, etc, just smaller.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

I noticed the smaller jar right away when I picked one up.
Reading the fine print only confirmed it.

Same shape, etc, just smaller.

There ought to be something wrong with that in weights and measures.

Online Smokin Joe

There ought to be something wrong with that in weights and measures.
If it isn't claimed to be a quart, and the label correctly identifies the contents and quantity, it is up to the shopper to recognize the change. Caveat emptor.

Not only are your dollars not going as far as they did, but that jar won't either.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

If it isn't claimed to be a quart, and the label correctly identifies the contents and quantity, it is up to the shopper to recognize the change. Caveat emptor.

Not only are your dollars not going as far as they did, but that jar won't either.

Right. But it's bullshit all the same. And everybody knows it.

Online Smokin Joe

Right. But it's bullshit all the same. And everybody knows it.
Sure. That 5 ounce tuna can looks the same as the 6 ounce tuna can did, it's just a smidgen smaller...

Keep looking and you will see this everywhere. Smaller sizes means the price doesn't go up as much, and people think they are getting a deal.

C S Lewis