Author Topic: GOP dark horses see 2024 path in surviving Trump-DeSantis mutually assured destruction  (Read 311 times)

Online corbe

GOP dark horses see 2024 path in surviving Trump-DeSantis mutually assured destruction

by Katherine Doyle, White House Reporter
February 24, 2023 05:55 AM

The Republican presidential field may end up being split between former President Donald Trump, Gov. Ron DeSantis (R-FL), and other candidates who hope to benefit if the top two Florida men tear each other apart during a bruising primary battle.

DeSantis, a prominent swing state governor that many Republicans hope will run for president in 2024, isn’t expected to make a formal move until the end of Florida’s legislative session, with one source suggesting it may not occur until July or later. Announcing during the second fundraising quarter would forfeit runway if the governor hopes to come out guns blazing, showcasing his ability to box out rivals for donor cash.

“This is all being discussed; of course it is,” a Republican strategist and former Trump aide said of the prospect that Trump and his closest competitor could tear one another down. “There's multiple scenarios.”

DeSantis emerged as Trump’s strongest potential rival after Florida Republicans swept to victory in the midterm elections, notching support from independents and centrists and defying Republicans’ lackluster results, including some of the former president’s high-profile endorsements.

<..snip..>

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/campaigns/trump-desantis-mutually-assured-destruction
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Kamaji

Except that DeSantis, so far, doesn't seem to be interested in playing MAD with Trump, notwithstanding Trump's puerile efforts.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

DeSantis and Youngkin have masterfuly avoided Trump's trap.  Others are wet nooldes, wannabe's, and also-ran's.

GOP Candidate: When speaking, remember that someone may be recording you.  Though it may be tempting at those rubber chicken campaign fund raising dinners, a vulture capitalist calling 46% of Americans deadbeats and bums is NOT a winning strategy, ala Romney 2012.
Self-Annointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline rustynail

They shoot horses, don't they?

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
If you look at the last year as a window, I think Trump as done a pretty good job of imploding.  If DeSantis can stay above the fray, for say up to filing deadlines, I think we see that trend continuing.

Really want to rankle the Orange One?....   Ignore him. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
RINO huffed:
"DeSantis and Youngkin have masterfuly avoided Trump's trap"

Nikki Haley has a better shot at it than does Youngkin (who I predict may become a "one-election wonder")...