Author Topic: 'A Great, Great, Great Man': The Cringey Gushing Over Jimmy Carter  (Read 369 times)

Offline corbe

'A Great, Great, Great Man': The Cringey Gushing Over Jimmy Carter

Where's the dignified mourning?

Andrew Ferguson
February 24, 2023

Is it the very unseemliness of the death watch over poor Jimmy Carter that has forced everyone to talk balls?

We human beings often react this way when we catch ourselves doing something that's in poor taste or otherwise undignified. We break wind in a reception line, we tell a dirty joke within earshot of a toddler, and in our mortification we turn on the motor mouth. Hovering ghoulishly over the deathbed of a celebrated stranger for endless days, as members of our nation's press corps are doing, waiting for him to hurry up and croak already and wandering the streets of his tiny hometown to find a resident who hadn't been interviewed half a dozen times by the BBC, is one of those circumstances of cringing self-embarrassment.

So we blather. We talk balls. We say anything to fill the silence that might call attention to the shabbiness of what we're doing. We say things like … oh I don't know … like, Jimmy Carter "moves humanity forward every single day." Or, maybe, that he had "the sweetest and best parts of our character." We might even describe Jimmy Carter as "probably the most intelligent, hard-working, and decent man to have occupied the Oval Office in the 20th century."

That first quote, which translated into concrete terms means "I really, really like him," comes from the former TV newsreader Maria Shriver. She's a Kennedy by birth and a Schwarzenegger by marriage, so words aren't really her thing. The second comes from the Washington Post columnist David Ignatius, who uncorked his extravagant sentiment during a sleepy chin wag on MSNBC's Morning Joe. The third appeared in the New York Times from the left-wing historian and journalist Kai Bird. He's a fine writer. Words really are his thing. In fact he wrote a whole book about Jimmy Carter. You might expect him to know better.

<..snip..>

https://freebeacon.com/media/a-great-great-great-man-the-cringey-gushing-over-jimmy-carter/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Hoodat

Re: 'A Great, Great, Great Man': The Cringey Gushing Over Jimmy Carter
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2023, 04:16:47 pm »
Jimmy Carter is a racist pos.

Jimmy Carter’s Race Problem

HANS A. VON SPAKOVSKY  |  September 18, 2009  |  8:57 PM

When former president Jimmy Carter accuses the opponents of Barrack Obama’s policy of nationalizing broad aspects of our economy and spending us into bankruptcy of being “racists,” perhaps he should look in the mirror. In his 1982 book, Keeping Faith, Carter disingenuously said he “was not directly involved in the early struggles to end racial discrimination.” No kidding — in fact, he directly and unambiguously supported segregation. When Carter returned to Plains, Georgia, to become a peanut farmer after serving in the Navy, he became a member of the Sumter County School Board, which did not implement the 1954 Brown v. Board of Education decision handed down by the Supreme Court. Instead, the board continued to segregate school children on the streets of Carter’s hometown.

As Laughlin McDonald, director of the ACLU’s Voting Project, relates in his book A Voting Rights Odyssey: Black Enfranchisement in Georgia, Carter’s board tried to stop the construction of a new “Elementary Negro School” in 1956. Local white citizens had complained that the school would be “too close” to a white school. As a result, “the children, both colored and white, would have to travel the same streets and roads in order to reach their respective schools.” The prospect of black and white children commingling on the streets on their way to school was apparently so horrible to Carter that he requested that the state school board stop construction of the black school until a new site could be found. The state board turned down Carter’s request because of “the staggering cost.” Carter and the rest of the Sumter County School Board then reassured parents at a meeting on October 5, 1956, that the board “would do everything in its power to minimize simultaneous traffic between white and colored students in route to and from school.”  .  .  .

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/jimmy-carters-race-problem-hans-von-spakovsky/
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2023, 04:19:57 pm »
Even as a youngster we mocked Jimmuh merciless. He was a living breathing joke.

As he approaches death, he needs to thank Biden daily for taking him off the hook as the worst POTUS in past 150 years
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2023, 04:20:53 pm »
This is called overcompensating...
The Republic is lost.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2023, 04:30:35 pm »
It amazes me how a man who was working along side Lester Maddox when he announced his Presidential run got a free pass from the press.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2023, 04:37:54 pm »
Well, as for his past deeds, I think Jimmah tried to make amends with good deeds later in life.  So I will give him a pass there.  Let God judge him.  Still he was a shitty President, of that there can be no doubt.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2023, 06:26:10 pm »
Definitely a horrible, horrible president. 
But then at least there's this:

http://twitter.com/charliekirk11/status/1627462904231645184?s=43&t=VCwmkULJhtz-cRx2YNtQ3Q
« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 06:26:57 pm by Polly Ticks »
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2023, 06:47:23 pm »
Well, as for his past deeds, I think Jimmah tried to make amends with good deeds later in life. 
I don't know. Cozying up to Palestinian terrorists is kind of questionable.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2023, 07:14:39 pm »
I don't know. Cozying up to Palestinian terrorists is kind of questionable.

He was a horrible micromanager back then.  And he is still one today.  If he had his way, he would relegate all of us to Cuba's healthcare system while he continued to get his from Emory.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2023, 02:27:08 am »
Well, as for his past deeds, I think Jimmah tried to make amends with good deeds later in life.  So I will give him a pass there.  Let God judge him.  Still he was a shitty President, of that there can be no doubt.
Especially in his later life, Jimmy Carter epitomized the notion that bad presidents can still be decent people.

Whereas the inverse is also true: decent presidents can still be horrible people. I will not, for the sake of keeping the thread on topic, name names.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024