Author Topic: Murphy’s Law of Alternative Energy  (Read 111 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Murphy’s Law of Alternative Energy
« on: February 24, 2023, 02:27:45 pm »
Murphy’s Law of Alternative Energy
Who could have guessed it would be so hard to replace cheap reliable power?

By James Freeman
Feb. 1, 2023 9:20 am ET

One might think that these would be boom times in the wind power business, with governments and giant corporations around the world competing to offer ever more generous preferences and subsidies for the intermittent energy source. But somehow this primitive means of generating power is still just not quite ready to replace the modern ones.

Part of the challenge is that politicians are finally waking up to the fact that alternative energy carries environmental costs along with the alleged benefits. In December this column noted Jennifer Dlouhy’s Boomberg report uncovering an internal warning from a National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration scientist to Interior Department officials about the threat to whales posed by offshore wind development.

Now Amanda Oglesby and Dan Radel report: for the Asbury Park Press:
A group of New Jersey mayors are calling for an “immediate moratorium” on offshore wind energy development until federal and state scientists can assure the public that ocean noise related to underwater seabed mapping, soil borings and other turbine construction activities poses no threat to whales.

https://archive.is/RtsxF#selection-133.5-313.300
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson