State Chapters > Texas

Water used to clean East Palestine, Ohio, train derailment to be disposed elsewhere: Harris County o

(1/1)

Elderberry:
Fox News by Lawrence Richard 2/23/2023

A massive recovery effort is underway in East Palestine, Ohio, after the city suffered one of the worst train derailment-turned-environmental disasters in United States history.

Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo revealed on Wednesday that part of the effort includes teams sending "firefighting water" used at the scene of the toxic chemical spill to be disposed of in Harris County.

"I and my office heard today that ‘firefighting water’ from the East Palestine, Ohio train derailment is slated to be disposed of in our County," the Texas judge wrote in a press release Wednesday.

According to the statement, questions remain on when the water will be disposed of, how, what is actually being transported and who will oversee the interstate transportation to ensure safety.

"Our Harris County Pollution Control Department and Harris County Attorney’s Office have reached out to the company and the Environmental Protection Agency to receive more information about the timing, transportation mechanisms, and contents, as well as to ensure all regulations are being met," the Harris County judge continued.

More: https://www.yahoo.com/now/water-used-clean-east-palestine-075854527.html

Smokin Joe:
Considering East Palestine Ohio is located near the PA border, there should be injection wells for produced water (from oil wells) in the region. That water could be hauled to and disposed of in those injection wells, well below any groundwater bearing strata.

I must note that while Google will tell me where East Palestine, Ohio is, it returns no Harris County in either Pennsylvania or Ohio. So who are the folks at Fox talking to?

Edited to add: Harris County, Texas???

Why haul that water across the country when there are alternatives available locally?

Elderberry:
It should have been a hint that I'd posted it in the Texas Cat.

catfish1957:
Our areas and facilities near Houston Texas are among the best and most adept in the world in handling hazardous waste, but I do have to go on record and ask why waste water needs at such levels of waste managment or treatment need to be  shipped  a 1000 miles away.   

Dioxin?

The economics sure don't add up.

Waste water in volume and typical dilution should be easily managable at TSD locations in the OH-PA area. 

Hmmmmm.......

Smokin Joe:

--- Quote from: catfish1957 on February 23, 2023, 04:52:18 pm ---Our areas and facilities near Houston Texas are among the best and most adept in the world in handling hazardous waste, but I do have to go on record and ask why waste water needs at such levels of waste managment or treatment need to be  shipped  a 1000 miles away.   

Dioxin?

The economics sure don't add up.

Waste water in volume and typical dilution should be easily managable at TSD locations in the OH-PA area. 

Hmmmmm.......

--- End quote ---
Agreed. With the SWD wells out there from the Marcellus and Utica shale plays, you'd think that they could put it in those. Apparently, something more is at play here, requiring a different level of expertise.
As usual, neither we nor the folks of East Palestine appear to be getting the whole story.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version