Author Topic: James Clapper Can't Stop Lying  (Read 101 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
James Clapper Can't Stop Lying
« on: February 22, 2023, 04:40:20 pm »
James Clapper Can't Stop Lying      
BY DAVID HARSANYI
FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 17 2023

The purpose of the letter, apparent then as it is now, was to discredit the Post's scoop and provide Democrats and the media with ammunition to reject it.

In an interview with The Washington Post's "fact-checker," former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper contends that Politico misled the public about a letter he and 50 other former intel officials signed during the 2020 presidential campaign warning that the New York Post's Hunter Biden laptop story could be Russian deception. "There was message distortion," Clapper tells The Washington Post. "All we were doing was raising a yellow flag that this could be Russian disinformation. Politico deliberately distorted what we said. It was clear in paragraph five."

It was not clear, at all. The purpose of the letter, apparent then as it is now, was to discredit the Post's scoop and provide Democrats and the media with ammunition to reject it. Of course intel officials couldn't definitively say that Hunter's emails, which implicated Joe Biden as a business partner, were concocted by Vladimir Putin's spooks. They had no access to the laptop. The purpose was to enlist former intel chiefs to cast doubt on the story. A perfunctory CYA paragraph doesn't change anything.

The laptop lie began, as is often the case, with Adam Schiff, the California congressman who used the intelligence committee as a partisan disinfo clearinghouse. As soon as the story broke, Schiff claimed that "we know" – a phrase he used numerous times – that the emails had been planted by the Kremlin. By then, though, everyone understood the congressman was an irredeemable liar. The director of national intelligence, John Ratcliffe, issued a statement stressing that, actually, there was no evidence to back Schiff's claims.

https://cfif.org/v/index.php/commentary/54-state-of-affairs/6215-james-clapper-cant-stop-lying
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson