Author Topic: Pentagon pops off on link between poppy seeds, positive drug tests  (Read 133 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Pentagon pops off on link between poppy seeds, positive drug tests
By Zamone Perez
 Feb 21, 04:34 PM

A top Pentagon official released a memo last Friday urging service members to be aware of poppy seed consumption after new research suggested some varieties may contain higher levels of morphine and codeine contamination.

Under Secretary of Defense for Personnel and Readiness Gil Cisneros said in the memo that recent data suggests some varieties of poppy seed may contain higher levels of contamination than previously thought. Codeine levels, the memo said, could be higher in some varieties of the seed and cause a positive urinalysis test.

“Concerns with poppy seeds and drug testing are not new,” Cisneros wrote in the memo. “The Military Departments are hereby directed to notify service members to avoid consumption of all poppy seeds to include food products and baked goods.”

Poppy seeds are harvested from the poppy plant, cultivated by food and pharmaceutical industries. During harvesting, seeds may become contaminated with morphine or codeine. The Pentagon’s drug testing regime, however, differentiated between morphine and codeine use from poppy seed consumption, according to the memo.

https://www.militarytimes.com/home/2023/02/21/pentagon-pops-off-on-link-between-poppy-seeds-positive-drug-tests/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline roamer_1

Re: Pentagon pops off on link between poppy seeds, positive drug tests
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2023, 03:25:32 pm »
What happened?
Is it the 70s again?