Author Topic: Sunspots In The Atmosphere  (Read 135 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Sunspots In The Atmosphere
« on: February 22, 2023, 12:47:25 pm »
Sunspots In The Atmosphere
10 hours ago Willis Eschenbach 33 Comments
Guest Post by Willis Eschenbach

Buoyed by the equal parts of derision and acclaim for my previous post, “CEEMD vs Joe Fourier“, I thought I’d take a look at a place where we know there is a solar effect.

How do I know there’s a solar effect somewhere? Because I’m a ham radio operator. Here’s my license, my call sign is H44WE, “Hotel 44 Whisky Echo”.

I got my license in the Solomon Islands at age 41, part of my commitment to life-long learning … plus I was living on a very remote tropical island and that was one of my few means of communication …

And any ham will tell you that long-distance ham radio transmission is strongly affected by the sun’s activity. Solar energy affects the ionosphere, the layer of the atmosphere that reflects radio waves back to the earth. So we know that the sun affects the very top of the atmosphere … but what about the lower levels?

To investigate this question, I thought I’d take a look at the solar effects at different layers of the atmosphere. The UAH MSU satellite temperatures cover four different levels of the atmosphere.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2023/02/21/sunspots-in-the-atmosphere/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson