Author Topic: Are Electricity ISOs/RTOs Government Central Planning?  (Read 119 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Are Electricity ISOs/RTOs Government Central Planning?
« on: February 22, 2023, 12:39:23 pm »
Are Electricity ISOs/RTOs Government Central Planning?
By Robert Bradley Jr. -- February 17, 2023

“Are RTOs central planning entities subject to the Mises/Hayek/Lavoie critique of access, pricing, and service quality? Is the ‘knowledge problem’ and ‘fatal conceit’ a defining issue for RTOs/ISOs compared to a private sector, unregulated approach to power coordination?”

“Vernon Smith: I don’t know”

It is a strange world in which a classical liberal espousing F. A. Hayek tries to justify a “market” based on a systemic violation of property rights and governmental central planning for an enormous territorial grid.

But this is the case with Lynne Kiesling, and maybe even Nobel Laureate Vernon Smith. I’ll let the reader decide from this social media exchange:

https://www.masterresource.org/texas-blackout-2021/iso-rto-central-planning-kiesling-smith/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson