Author Topic: Buttigieg unveils freight rail reforms in wake of East Palestine derailment  (Read 229 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Buttigieg unveils freight rail reforms in wake of East Palestine derailment
by Julia Shapero - 02/21/23 8:29 AM ET

Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg on Tuesday called for several freight rail reforms in the aftermath of a train derailment in northeastern Ohio earlier this month that resulted in the release of toxic chemicals and temporarily forced the evacuation of thousands of residents.

Buttigieg urged Norfolk Southern, whose train was involved in the incident in East Palestine, and other freight rail companies to deploy new inspection technologies, phase in new, safer tank cars, and notify state emergency officials in advance if hazardous gas is being transported through their state.

The Department of Transportation will also begin a series of inspections of routes over which trains with large amount of hazardous material travel and advance a new rule requiring that at least two railroad staff be present for most operations.

more
https://thehill.com/policy/transportation/3867524-buttigieg-unveils-freight-rail-reforms-in-wake-of-east-palestine-derailment/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
"notify state emergency officials in advance if hazardous gas is being transported through their state."

I know hazmat, and can say pretty safely that at least 2 out of every 3 trains contain hazardous tankers.

Can you imagine the avalanche of redundant paperwork, and overworked swtichboards?

Is Buttplug this utterly stupid?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
"notify state emergency officials in advance if hazardous gas is being transported through their state."

I know hazmat, and can say pretty safely that at least 2 out of every 3 trains contain hazardous tankers.

Can you imagine the avalanche of redundant paperwork, and overworked swtichboards?

Is Buttplug this utterly stupid?
That was a sarcastic question wasn't it :silly:

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
"phase in new, safer tank cars"

None of the railroads own the tank cars.

The cars are either privately owned (by the shippers), or owned by leasing companies that lease them to the shippers.

The railroads just haul these around, like an independent truck driver hauls someone else's trailer.

"deploy new inspection technologies"

The big railroads probably spend a good amount on upgrading wayside detectors right now. You can only have so many "talking" hot journal detectors before it's overkill -- they'll be talking right over one another.

"advance a new rule requiring that at least two railroad staff be present for most operations"

I'm thinking most (all?) freight trains on the major carriers operate with an engineer and conductor right now.

No doubt the companies would like to cut this down to just one if they could.

Did you know that on the big railroads, many "yard" jobs are now one-man only?
No engineer ... at all.
The conductor carries "a remote pack" on his chest, by which to control the yard engine remotely while he does "the ground work" as well.

Not the best way to work. The son of a conductor I once worked with was killed in the yard this way. He went between a couple of cars to adjust a drawbar, and... the engine moved, crushing him between the cars.