Author Topic: A MYSTERY BUNKER, SECRET ROOMS, AND A GHOST: MYTHS OF THE PENTAGON  (Read 88 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
A MYSTERY BUNKER, SECRET ROOMS, AND A GHOST: MYTHS OF THE PENTAGON
February 17, 2023Matt Fratus

Among the strangest stories about the Pentagon comes one from the chilly early days of the Cold War, when the Soviet Union and the United States had just begun to spy relentlessly on each other with satellites.

According to the legend, in the Pentagon’s center courtyard, crowds of military and civilian officials would gather at the same time every day around a small building. Watching from space, Russian intelligence believed the building was an entrance to an underground bunker or a secret briefing room.

In reality, the crowds came and went on lunch breaks because the building was a popular hot dog stand.

“Rumor has it that during the Cold War, the Russians never had any less than two missiles aimed at this hot dog stand,” said Brett Eaton, a Pentagon information and communications officer. “They thought this was the Pentagon’s most top secret meeting room, and the entire Pentagon was a large fortress built around this hot dog stand.”

https://coffeeordie.com/the-pentagon/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson