Author Topic: Monbiot : We Must End Our Dependence On Farming  (Read 152 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Monbiot : We Must End Our Dependence On Farming
« on: February 21, 2023, 11:35:45 am »
Monbiot : We Must End Our Dependence On Farming
FEBRUARY 20, 2023
tags: agriculture, farming, meat, monbiot
By Paul Homewood

Why does anybody treat this nutter seriously?

Perhaps before he makes a fool of himself next time, he might like to check what the UN’s Food & Agriculture Organisation have to say on the matter:

ABOUT 60 PERCENT of the world’s pasture land (about 2.2 million km2), just less than half the world’s usable surface is covered by grazing systems. Distributed between arid, semi arid and sub humid, humid, temperate and tropical highlands zones, this supports about 360 million cattle (half of which are in the humid savannas), and over 600 million sheep and goats, mostly in the arid rangelands. The distribution of livestock over the different ecological zones is provided in Annex Table 2.

Grazing systems supply about 9 percent of the world’s production of beef and about 30 percent of the world’s production of sheep and goat meat. For an estimated 100 million people in arid areas, and probably a similar number in other zones, grazing livestock is the only possible source of livelihood.

Environmental challenges

https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpress.com/2023/02/20/monbiot-we-must-end-our-dependence-on-farming/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Monbiot : We Must End Our Dependence On Farming
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2023, 11:37:18 am »
We're supposed to save ourselves by not eating meat AND produce? :bs:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson