Author Topic: We Need a Peace Time Draft  (Read 100 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
We Need a Peace Time Draft
« on: February 20, 2023, 04:59:15 pm »
We Need a Peace Time Draft
By Michael Szalma
February 20, 2023
FR121174 AP

Our nation is facing a national security threat: there are not enough military age people joining the U.S. Armed Forces. Yet, the world is still a threatening place, necessitating a robust American military. Democracy is being tested in Ukraine. China is a looming threat over another democracy, Taiwan. The United States must be ready to answer these and other potential challenges. A peace time draft can help solve this problem. At the same time, drafting politically polarized Americans can help bring the American people back together through a shared sacrifice and a sense of patriotism that military service fosters while simultaneously ensuring the political engagement of modern youth.

The Department of Defense in 2022 found that only 23% of people in prime military age (ages 17 to 24) qualify for service. Why so low? Obesity, drugs, mental/physical health, or a combination of these. Obesity is the largest single factor.

To combat this trend, in 2022 the U.S. Army created two “prep-courses” that recruits can attend prior to Basic Training. One 90-day prep-course helps recruits meet body fat standards. The other course helps recruits achieve higher scores on the Armed Forces Qualifications Test. The U.S. Navy recently announced that it has raised its age limit to 41 years, the oldest of any service (thus far). 

This is sounding alarm bells. The recruiting pool is getting shallower.

https://www.realcleardefense.com/articles/2023/02/20/we_need_a_peace_time_draft_882671.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: We Need a Peace Time Draft
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2023, 05:00:50 pm »
The current joint chiefs, under direction from CIC Biden, have so degraded the military it might have to resort to this. :facepalm2:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson