Author Topic: Is the US facing a retail apocalypse? More than 800 big box retail stores are set to close across th  (Read 637 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Is the US facing a retail apocalypse? More than 800 big box retail stores are set to close across the nation this year - including Bed Bath & Beyond, Walmart, Gap and Party City

Many of America's most iconic retail stores are set to close locations this year
    Over 800 big box retailers are planned to be closed down throughout 2023
    Bed Bath & Beyond leads the way in closing down at least 416 stores this year, followed by Tuesday Morning, Gap and Walmart

By Will Potter For Dailymail.Com

Published: 17:20 EST, 20 February 2023 | Updated: 17:28 EST, 20 February 2023

America is bracing for a mass exodus of retail stores across the nation this year, with more than 800 big box locations set to close from California to New York.

Among the iconic names to announce they are downsizing includes Bed Bath & Beyond, Walmart, Gap and Party City.

At least 803 stores are set to be shuttered over the rest of 2023, with many forced into desperate cost cutting measures amid rampant inflation and declining bottom lines.

more
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11773295/More-800-big-box-retail-stores-set-close-nation-year.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Kamaji

How many jobs will be lost in the process?

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Amazon rules America.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
Walmart closing stores is going massively backfire on them.

Watch how many locals use the aisles at this establishment to visit, or for other social reasons.

The locals will be angry when they lose it, and won't frequent the closest alternative.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Idiot

Is the US facing a retail apocalypse? More than 800 big box retail stores are set to close across the nation this year - including Bed Bath & Beyond, Walmart, Gap and Party City

Many of America's most iconic retail stores are set to close locations this year
    Over 800 big box retailers are planned to be closed down throughout 2023
    Bed Bath & Beyond leads the way in closing down at least 416 stores this year, followed by Tuesday Morning, Gap and Walmart

By Will Potter For Dailymail.Com

Published: 17:20 EST, 20 February 2023 | Updated: 17:28 EST, 20 February 2023

America is bracing for a mass exodus of retail stores across the nation this year, with more than 800 big box locations set to close from California to New York.

Among the iconic names to announce they are downsizing includes Bed Bath & Beyond, Walmart, Gap and Party City.

At least 803 stores are set to be shuttered over the rest of 2023, with many forced into desperate cost cutting measures amid rampant inflation and declining bottom lines.

more
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11773295/More-800-big-box-retail-stores-set-close-nation-year.html
Let's see here....   Bed Bath & Beyond has out priced themselves.  Gap...I've never been in one.  Party City...never been in one.  Walmart...I hear they are proposing shutting down the unprofitable ones which is understandable.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
What isn't being said here, is why those stores are unprofitable.

I'd wager location and the demographics thereof has something to do with that lack of profitability as well.

If I were a big box retailer, I'd seriously consider shutting down anywhere the police have been defunded, where prosecutors aren't interested in prosecuting larceny, or even worse for some folks, and I'd light a shuck out of most anyplace that has ridiculous taxes and laws.

The reason is simple. Open season on your stock is not the path to profitability.
If thieves won't be prosecuted, the only option left is not have anything for them to steal.
Honest shoppers will suffer, but it's a business, not a charity, and the prosecutors are to blame.

Ridiculous taxes are just more theft, only the Government is actually doing the stealing instead of just looking the other way. And stupid laws increase the cost of everything, if it is even allowed.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online roamer_1

My Give-a-damn's busted. All them big-box stores with their special dispensation through nearly three years of COVID tyranny... While small businesses cratered everywhere without a single care toward their demise.

Their turn in the barrel, and I really don't GAF.

Offline GrouchoTex

What isn't being said here, is why those stores are unprofitable.

I'd wager location and the demographics thereof has something to do with that lack of profitability as well.

If I were a big box retailer, I'd seriously consider shutting down anywhere the police have been defunded, where prosecutors aren't interested in prosecuting larceny, or even worse for some folks, and I'd light a shuck out of most anyplace that has ridiculous taxes and laws.

The reason is simple. Open season on your stock is not the path to profitability.
If thieves won't be prosecuted, the only option left is not have anything for them to steal.
Honest shoppers will suffer, but it's a business, not a charity, and the prosecutors are to blame.

Ridiculous taxes are just more theft, only the Government is actually doing the stealing instead of just looking the other way. And stupid laws increase the cost of everything, if it is even allowed.

If COVID taught me anything, it was that I could sit on my couch and have things arrive at my doorsteps in a day or two.
There are some disadvantages of course, but along with what you have mentioned, no fender benders, car jackings, lousy parking, used gasoline (now more important than then), running the risk of the item being out of stock, going out in bad weather, etc...
Some things I will have to see first before I buy them, but that list is shrinkibg.