Author Topic: Larry Hogan would rethink 2024 presidential run to keep Trump out of White House  (Read 1572 times)

Offline mountaineer

He had to remind us he's running, because you can be sure no one has thought about him for weeks.
Larry Hogan would rethink 2024 presidential run to keep Trump out of White House
by Rachel Schilke, Breaking News Reporter |
February 19, 2023 03:17 PM
Washington Examiner

Former Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan (R) said he would rethink his candidacy if he thought it would inadvertently contribute to former President Donald Trump securing the White House in 2024.

Hogan, who is among several former governors considering a 2024 GOP presidential bid, said on Sunday in an interview with Chuck Todd on Meet the Press that the timeline for his potential campaign announcement could come sometime this spring.

"I've got strong support with Republicans, Democrats, and Independents," Hogan said. "I left as one of the most successful governors in America ... I got the same vote Trump did in the Republican primary and ran 45 points ahead of him in the general." ...

"I don't care that much about my future in the Republican Party. I care about making sure we have a future for the Republican Party, and if we can stop Donald Trump and elect a great Republican, commonsense conservative leader, that certainly would be a factor," Hogan said.

Hogan reaffirmed his position that he would not support Trump for president in 2024, stating that he is putting the country before the party.  ...
Trust me, Larry. No one cares.

Anna James Zeigler
@ajzeigler
I don’t know exactly how 2024 will unfold, but I do know it won’t involve Larry Hogan.
2:18 PM · Feb 19, 2023

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
When the words "common" and "sense" are crammed together into one, as in "commonsense gun laws", it is an immediate flag that what the person is talking about makes little or no sense except to those whose basic axioms are deeply flawed.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
He had to remind us he's running, because you can be sure no one has thought about him for weeks.Trust me, Larry. No one cares.

Anna James Zeigler
@ajzeigler
I don’t know exactly how 2024 will unfold, but I do know it won’t involve Larry Hogan.
2:18 PM · Feb 19, 2023

@mountaineer

A alleged "Republican from Maryland. Now THAT is funny. It is akin to a virgin in a whorehouse.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online roamer_1

@mountaineer

A alleged "Republican from Maryland. Now THAT is funny. It is akin to a virgin in a whorehouse.

*JUST* as ridiculous as an alleged Republican from New York City.  :whistle: :silly:

Offline Smokin Joe

*JUST* as ridiculous as an alleged Republican from New York City.  :whistle: :silly:
He got his start in Southern Maryland, where I originally hail from. I may have met him back when. He shifted to the left a little but anything right of center in Maryland nowadays is an "extremist". More a middle of the road guy than hardcore right wing.

But most notably,
In October 2018, a law tightening gun control regulations that Hogan signed went into effect. The law banned bump stocks and gun ownership by convicted domestic abusers.[158] Hogan was endorsed by the National Rifle Association (NRA) in 2014, but in July 2018, he said he would decline an endorsement and funds from the NRA if they were offered.[159] In September 2018, the NRA downgraded its rating of Hogan to "C" and declined to endorse him.[160]

On May 24, 2019, Hogan vetoed a bill to replace the state Handgun Permit Review Board with a panel of judges. The Handgun Review Board hears appeals from Marylanders whose applications for handgun permits were denied by the Maryland State Police. Critics accused it of being too lenient in granting appeals. Hogan condemned the bill as a "solution in search of a problem."[161]

In April 2022, Hogan refused to veto or sign a bill that would ban the sale and possession of ghost guns, allowing the bill to become law without his signature.[162] He vetoed legislation that would require gun shops to have increased safety measures, including 24-hour burglary alarm systems and anti-vehicle barriers.[150][151] The General Assembly overrode Hogan's veto the next day.[163]

In July 2022, Hogan directed the Maryland State Police to end the "good and substantial" reasoning standard when issuing carry permits. The order was issued a few weeks after the U.S. Supreme Court declared a similar provision in New York unconstitutional in NYSRPA v. Bruen.[164]

Any time you get someone who is not rabidly anti-2nd Amendment in MD, you're doing good.
Yes, the Republicans there claim him.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

He got his start in Southern Maryland, where I originally hail from. I may have met him back when. He shifted to the left a little but anything right of center in Maryland nowadays is an "extremist". More a middle of the road guy than hardcore right wing.

[...]

Any time you get someone who is not rabidly anti-2nd Amendment in MD, you're doing good.
Yes, the Republicans there claim him.

Sorry for your beginnings... But I have found no profit in voting for anything from the Northeast - Which includes Maryland as part of the DC Complex. Getting pretty jumpy about folks from Virginia too.

Generally speaking, I will look at folks from the South and the Midwest, but prefer a Western man a bit more. The last man I had any faith in from the Northeast was Alan Keyes.  :shrug:

Offline Hoodat

"Keep Trump out of the White House" equates to 'help a Democrat get elected'.  Drawing GOP votes away from a Trump challenger only helps Trump to get the nomination, which will help the Democrat candidate win in 2024.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

Sorry for your beginnings... But I have found no profit in voting for anything from the Northeast - Which includes Maryland as part of the DC Complex. Getting pretty jumpy about folks from Virginia too.

Generally speaking, I will look at folks from the South and the Midwest, but prefer a Western man a bit more. The last man I had any faith in from the Northeast was Alan Keyes.  :shrug:
When and where I grew up there, it was farmers and watermen, fishing, crabbing, tobacco, livestock. Washington DC may have been only 50 miles away, but I grew up at the end of a mile of gravel road, getting only three TV stations if the wind was right and the antenna was pointed in the right direction. DC was as alien as Mars.

We hunted, deer and ducks, and filled the larder with those, along with farm fresh eggs, fish from the river (and crab, clams, and oysters) and ate like kings by the sweat of our brows. I don't regret my beginnings at all, just what has happened to the State.
My folks still live at the end of a half mile of gravel road (same house, the land has been in the family since the 1600s). They're still conservative, and that's how I became politically aware at an early age. They fought the corruption for years, and are in their 90s now.
Where I grew up still looks much the same, just the rules are different. Those rules are why I continue to live where I do now, and I'm constantly stumping to keep that crap out of here.
I don't see the electorate changing here like it did there--there is no Federal power center to draw idiots from elsewhere, and the climate helps keep that riff-raff out.
Most of that change back there is due to the expansion of the Feral Government, with the DC bedroom communities expanding out far beyond the District and altering the electorate with lobbyists and activists and federal employees including staffers for rabidly liberal elected folks from elsewhere. They brought their politics from yonder, and have inflicted them on a Southern State. (MD is south of the Mason/Dixon line and was occupied by union troops during the war.
(My ancestors fought for the South, with Lee in Va.)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 05:36:55 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

Most of that change back there is due to the expansion of the Feral Government, with the DC bedroom communities expanding out far beyond the District and altering the electorate with lobbyists and activists and federal employees including staffers for rabidly liberal elected folks from elsewhere. They brought their politics from yonder, and have inflicted them on a Southern State. (MD is south of the Mason/Dixon line and was occupied by union troops during the war.

That's what I gathered, and what I meant... Same with VA. No offense meant to your kin.  :beer:

Offline Hoodat

That's what I gathered, and what I meant... Same with VA. No offense meant to your kin.  :beer:

The Commonwealth of Virginia ceased being the Mother of Presidents after Woodrow Wilson, for good reason.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline LMAO

Running for president just to keep someone out of the White House is petty
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
"Keep Trump out of the White House" equates to 'help a Democrat get elected'.  Drawing GOP votes away from a Trump challenger only helps Trump to get the nomination, which will help the Democrat candidate win in 2024.

@Hoodat

What kind of brain fart led you to come to the conclusion that a Dim candidate would beat Trump?

IF this were true,why would the Dims and the RINO's be so desperate to keep Trump out of the race?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@LMAO

AND......,NOBODY really does that. They run for the attention it willl bring them,along with the campaign contributions that will help them run again later on as the "Prime Time Candidate".

They are just professional "attention whores",looking for a new payday.

Offline mountaineer

See also Liz Cheney.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Hoodat

@Hoodat

What kind of brain fart led you to come to the conclusion that a Dim candidate would beat Trump?

IF this were true,why would the Dims and the RINO's be so desperate to keep Trump out of the race?

Who says the Dims don't want Trump in the race?  He is their best shot at winning.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Lando Lincoln

There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Kamaji

Who says the Dims don't want Trump in the race?  He is their best shot at winning.

:thumbsup:

Offline Right_in_Virginia

@Hoodat

Warning:  Using logic only confuses the anyone but Trump club  @sneakypete

Offline DefiantMassRINO

The challenge with Trump is that he is a media confligration that consumes all the media oxygen.  In plain English, Trump is good for ratings. 

He will take media time away from other candidates, from either party, which extinguishes challengers' nascient political campaigns.

Whomever challenges Trump will need to have a deep war chest to buy more media than Trump can get for free, just to deny Trump access to that media time.

Self-Annointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@Hoodat

There is not ONE single Dim candidate that has a chance of beating Trump. Not even with the entire media slamming him and telling lies about him 24/7.

Yeah,there are some VERY vocal "jealous of the rich man" who would vote for Mao before they would vote for Trump,but the truth is they don't really matter.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
The challenge with Trump is that he is a media confligration that consumes all the media oxygen.  In plain English, Trump is good for ratings. 

He will take media time away from other candidates, from either party, which extinguishes challengers' nascient political campaigns.

Whomever challenges Trump will need to have a deep war chest to buy more media than Trump can get for free, just to deny Trump access to that media time.

@DefiantMassRINO

I disagree. Trump's biggest problem is the voters who identify with and are proud of poverty who are jealous and hate ANYONE that is wealthy.

A good number of these creatures self-identify as "Republicans" and "Conservatives",but that is because they are delusional. The truth is they are merely tools of the left.

Offline berdie

@Hoodat

There is not ONE single Dim candidate that has a chance of beating Trump. Not even with the entire media slamming him and telling lies about him 24/7.

Yeah,there are some VERY vocal "jealous of the rich man" who would vote for Mao before they would vote for Trump,but the truth is they don't really matter.

Although I admire your loyalty, I believe that there are those that can beat Trump. And, it has nothing to do with jealousy of the rich man or his manners. Although some of his policies were great, some were not. He has, and continues to do, shoot himself in both feet with his mouth. jmho

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

Although I admire your loyalty, I believe that there are those that can beat Trump. And, it has nothing to do with jealousy of the rich man or his manners. Although some of his policies were great, some were not. He has, and continues to do, shoot himself in both feet with his mouth. jmho

@berdie

So what?

That just proves to me that he isn't an actual politician and isn't owned by any international corporations.

Offline berdie

@berdie

So what?

That just proves to me that he isn't an actual politician and isn't owned by any international corporations.

So what? It is off putting to many people.

As far as not being a politician...of course he is. He is just not used to operating in an arena he is not familiar with...and chooses not to learn how to do so. As far as not being owned by international corps, he is most definitely involved with them.

Offline LMAO

There is no question that the future of the GOP is going to start to take shape in the 2024 election season

You’ll have the more liberal “Republican in name only” i
represented possibly by this Larry Hogan or Haley

There will be the neocon, pro interventionist wing represented possibly by Liz Cheney

The big government, populist wing represented by Trump

and

The traditional conservative wing represented possibly by Ron DeSantis

We will see which GOP ultimately prevails
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 11:19:57 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy