Author Topic: Major Publisher Rewrites Classic Children’s Books To Appease Leftist “Sensitivity”  (Read 2023 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Legal Insurrection  February 18, 2023

“The changes were made by the publisher, Puffin, and the Roald Dahl Story Company, now owned by Netflix, with sensitivity readers hired to scrutinise the text.”

Apparently, the radical left is no longer going to insist that classic literature with “harmful material” be banned; instead, they’ll just rewrite literary works to conform to their woke sensibilities.

Think I’m kidding? A group of self-important woke lefties is “fixing” the works of Roald Dahl for a “modern audience.”

The Telegraph reports:

Augustus Gloop is no longer fat, Mrs Twit is no longer fearfully ugly, and the Oompa-Loompas have gone gender-neutral in new editions of Roald Dahl’s beloved stories.

The publisher, Puffin, has made hundreds of changes to the original text, removing many of Dahl’s colourful descriptions and making his characters less grotesque.

The publisher, Puffin, has made hundreds of changes to the original text, removing many of Dahl’s colourful descriptions and making his characters less grotesque.

The review of Dahl’s language was undertaken to ensure that the books “can continue to be enjoyed by all today”, Puffin said.

References to physical appearance have been heavily edited. The word “fat” has been removed from every book – Augustus Gloop in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory may still look like a ball of dough, but can now only be described as “enormous”.

In the same story, the Oompa-Loompas are no longer “tiny”, “titchy” or “no higher than my knee” but merely small. And where once they were “small men”, they are now “small people”.

. . . . References to “female” characters have disappeared – Miss Trunchbull in Matilda, once a “most formidable female”, is now a “most formidable woman”.

“Boys and girls” has been turned into “children”. The Cloud-Men in James and the Giant Peach have become Cloud-People and Fantastic Mr Fox’s three sons have become daughters.

Matilda reads Jane Austen rather than Rudyard Kipling, and a witch posing as “a cashier in a supermarket” now works as “a top scientist”.

Mrs Twit’s “fearful ugliness” is reduced to “ugliness”, while Mrs Hoppy in Esio Trot is not an “attractive middle-aged lady” but a “kind middle-aged lady”.

More: https://legalinsurrection.com/2023/02/major-publisher-rewrites-classic-childrens-books-to-appease-leftist-sensitivity/

Offline mountaineer

That pretty much is a different book, then - and changing female to woman or fat to enormous really doesn't accomplish anything.  *****rollingeyes*****
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Roald Dahl’s children’s books are being rewritten to remove language deemed offensive by the publisher Puffin.

Puffin has hired sensitivity readers to rewrite chunks of the author’s text to make sure the books “can continue to be enjoyed by all today”, resulting in extensive changes across Dahl’s work.

Edits have been made to descriptions of characters’ physical appearances. The word “fat” has been cut from every new edition of relevant books, while the word “ugly” has also been culled, the Daily Telegraph reported.

Augustus Gloop in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is now described as “enormous”. In The Twits, Mrs Twit is no longer “ugly and beastly” but just “beastly”.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/feb/18/roald-dahl-books-rewritten-to-remove-language-deemed-offensive
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Mod2

Threads merged

Offline Right_in_Virginia

The Western world has waaay too much free time on its hands.

Offline mountaineer

The Western world has waaay too much free time on its hands.
Seriously. When will they issue the newly woke "Gone with the Wind"?

Offline Kamaji

:facepalm2:

Well, that certainly just increased the resale value of all those copies of the real Roald Dahl books that are still out there.

Offline mountaineer

It's a complete and completely irrational rewrite, not just a few edits to make things more "sensitive."

Roald Dahl - 2001 authorized Puffin edition vs 2022 authorized Puffin edition. Read entire thread.

https://twitter.com/incunabula/status/1626860237104857089
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 03:01:48 pm by mountaineer »

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Art is a product of the times in which it was created - That's why Warner Brothers doesn't make new anti-Hitler or anti-Tojo Bugs Bunny cartoons.

The publisher is desecrating literature and history.  This is akin to the Taliban demolishing the Buddhist momument in Afghanistan.

If the words make the creampuffs cry, put a warning label on it, like they do music CD's.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 03:38:52 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
If I was an author, I think any and all work done for a publisher would have a legal clause in the contract  that no work, wordage, graphics, etc,. can be changed without authorization of the author or author's estate.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline mountaineer

The coming sensitivity rewrite of Gone With The Wind:

Miss Elizabeth de Ville Vanderbilt (formerly known as Mammy): I daresay - I shall travel to Atlanta. Yes, indeed, I shall! To Atlanta, it is! (formerly, "Ah's gwine ta Atlanta, an' gwine Ah is!")

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
The coming sensitivity rewrite of Gone With The Wind:

Miss Elizabeth de Ville Vanderbilt (formerly known as Mammy): I daresay - I shall travel to Atlanta. Yes, indeed, I shall! To Atlanta, it is! (formerly, "Ah's gwine ta Atlanta, an' gwine Ah is!")

TCM has pretty much buried the movie. I doubt there will be any re-writes as  I expect library purges to be next. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Kamaji

TCM has pretty much buried the movie. I doubt there will be any re-writes as  I expect library purges to be next. 

:thumbsup:

1984-style memory-hole treatment.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
catfish sez:
"TCM has pretty much buried the movie. I doubt there will be any re-writes as  I expect library purges to be next."

If you want to preserve the movie, the best way is to grab a high-quality restored version from "the torrents". And archive it to your own video drive...

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Art is a product of the times in which it was created - That's why Warner Brothers doesn't make new anti-Hitler or anti-Tojo Bugs Bunny cartoons.

The publisher is desecrating literature and history.  This is akin to the Taliban demolishing the Buddhist momument in Afghanistan.

If the words make the creampuffs cry, put a warning label on it, like they do music CD's.

@DefiantMassRINO

I couldn't agree more.

Also,the reality  is no one is making the publisher do this. His GREED is what is making him to it.

Sometimes it seems like the people with the most money are the ones the most desperate to get more of it.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
If I was an author, I think any and all work done for a publisher would have a legal clause in the contract  that no work, wordage, graphics, etc,. can be changed without authorization of the author or author's estate.

@catfish1957

Frankly,I am very surprised this isn't the case with every book published. After all,who has more of a personal connection to their work that authors and other "artists"?

Maybe the author's relatives sold the publishing rights to the publisher after he died?

Offline Kamaji

I believe that Dahl's estate either agreed to allow the changes to be made, or else did not impose such a limit when they sold the catalog to, I believe, Netflix.

Offline mountaineer

It is possible that the threatened wokification of Dahl's works was just a big marketing ploy?

PuffinBooks
@PuffinBooks
Today we announce the Roald Dahl Classic Collection, which will keep Dahl’s classic texts in print. Find more detail here.
7:03 AM · Feb 24, 2023

Offline Fishrrman

mountaineer wrote:
"It is possible that the threatened wokification of Dahl's works was just a big marketing ploy?"

Sounds like they're "walking things back" in the face of overwhelming opprobrium.

Kinda like "New Coke" ??

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
It is possible that the threatened wokification of Dahl's works was just a big marketing ploy?

PuffinBooks
@PuffinBooks
Today we announce the Roald Dahl Classic Collection, which will keep Dahl’s classic texts in print. Find more detail here.
7:03 AM · Feb 24, 2023
Failure to do so would have resulted in a decline in sales.

Get woke--go broke!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline mountaineer

Agatha Christie revisions are the writing on the wall
And then there were none (books, that is)
Bruce Pardy,  National Post
Published Apr 05, 2023  •  Last updated Apr 06, 2023
Last week The Telegraph reported that Agatha Christie’s novels are being sanitized for re-release. HarperCollins, their publisher, is removing references to physique, race and ethnicity in new editions of Miss Marple and selected Poirot novels. Christie joins Roald Dahl and Ian Fleming on the list of dead literary icons whose works have met similar fates in recent weeks. Shakespeare, Dr. Seuss and Mark Twain have been curbed in other ways. If it seems like small potatoes, you may be missing the big picture. When publishers defile literature, you know the writing is on the wall.

These rewrites are not censorship, at least not in the legal sense. Governments don’t need to order it. Publishers are choosing to sanitize their literary icons on their own. Anyone who holds copyright can alter a work as they please, especially when dead authors are not around to object. Just as Christie had no obligation to write her books in the first place and no publisher was required to print and sell them, so these publishers today have no legal duty to reprint them in their original form.

Why would they want to change them? After all, Christie is the bestselling novelist of all time. Which is precisely why her books are ideal for such treatment. Literature, along with other popular arts like music and movies, is called “culture” for a reason. It expresses narratives that tell societies who they are. In 2023, we are social justice nihilists, driven by cultural self-hate and morally panicked about any representation of historical prejudice.

I didn’t realize it at the time, but in high school the best thing I did for my education was skip French class to read Ray Bradbury’s Fahrenheit 451. In Bradbury’s dystopia, firemen don’t put out fires, but make them to burn books. “Our civilization is flinging itself to pieces,” Bradbury prophetically wrote. “Stand back from the centrifuge.” ...
The National Post

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
After all, Christie is the bestselling novelist of all time.

@mountaineer

I had no idea about this. I am an avid reader,and have never read a single one of her books. Mostly because for some odd reason,I thought they were written to appeal to the senior female readers,and my head hurts enough on a normal day that I don't need to be digging THAT burial hole.

Any of you guys out there read any Agtha Christie novels? If so,what did you think of them?

Offline Kamaji

Keep all of your old books; they'll be worth more than their weight in gold eventually.

Offline mountaineer

I read quite a few Christie novels even before I was an oldster, @sneakypete:laugh:

Offline Fishrrman

Kamaji predicts:
"Keep all of your old books; they'll be worth more than their weight in gold eventually."

Shades of "Fahrenheit 451"...

Then again, there's still "z-lib.org" -- IF you know how to "get to it"...