Author Topic: New Study Indicates NW Greenland Was ‘At Least 9°C’ Warmer Than Today When CO2 Was ~300 ppm  (Read 159 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
New Study Indicates NW Greenland Was ‘At Least 9°C’ Warmer Than Today When CO2 Was ~300 ppm
By Kenneth Richard on 16. February 2023

Share this...
Evidence of abundant lakes and ponds and the remains of vascular plants, warmth-demanding beetles, sponges, spruce forests…in a newly-discovered organic-rich deposit 480 m above sea level in High Arctic (76.4°N) northwest Greenland indicates the local climate was similar to that of today’s southern Greenland (~60°N) and North America during the Early Pleistocene ice age.
Scientists analyze the habitat temperature thresholds for modern plants, trees, insects, mammals, etc., and compare these values to the climate conditions these same species were living in according to the paleoclimate fossil record to determine how much warmer (or colder) the past was relative to the present.

About 2 million years ago (Early Pleistocene), CO2 levels were estimated to have hovered around 300 ppm.

A glacier site in northwest Greenland, Pingorsuit, sits 480 m above sea level. It is currently covered in “continuous permafrost” that is still 25 cm thick in July (Bennike et al., 2023). Modern mean July temperatures only reach 1-2°C here.

https://notrickszone.com/2023/02/16/new-study-indicates-nw-greenland-was-at-least-9c-warmer-than-today-when-co2-was-300-ppm/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson