Author Topic: US Woos Other Nations for Military-AI Ethics Pact  (Read 107 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
US Woos Other Nations for Military-AI Ethics Pact
« on: February 17, 2023, 02:25:35 pm »
US Woos Other Nations for Military-AI Ethics Pact
State Department and Pentagon officials hope to illuminate a contrast between the United States and China on AI
PATRICK TUCKER | FEBRUARY 16, 2023 09:00 AM ET
ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE

The U.S. will spell out ethics, principles, and practices for the use of artificial intelligence in military contexts in a new declaration Thursday, with the hope of adding cosigners from around the world. The announcement is intended to highlight a "contrast" between the U.S. approach and what one senior defense official called "the more opaque policies of countries like Russia and China."

U.S. Undersecretary for Arms Control and International Security Bonnie Jenkins will announce the declaration at an AI in warfare conference in the Netherlands.

“The aim of the political declaration is to promote responsible behavior in the application of AI and autonomy in the military domain, to develop an international consensus around this issue, and put in place measures to increase transparency, communication, and reduce risks of inadvertent conflict and escalation,” Jenkins told Defense One in an email.

https://www.defenseone.com/technology/2023/02/us-woos-other-nations-military-ai-ethics-pact/383024/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: US Woos Other Nations for Military-AI Ethics Pact
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2023, 02:28:32 pm »
I'm sure Stalin felt completely safe when he signed a non-aggression pact with Hitler.  It eventually went the way of all such pacts - to war. :MiniGun:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kamaji

Re: US Woos Other Nations for Military-AI Ethics Pact
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2023, 02:34:55 pm »
:facepalm2: