Author Topic: Refugees in the US can’t retain employment for long: study says  (Read 317 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Refugees in the US can’t retain employment for long: study says
By Shirin Ali | Feb. 11, 2022 | Feb. 11, 2022

Story at a glance

Researchers from Cornell University studied employment trends among refugees living in the U.S.
The results found that despite receiving lawful permanent resident status, after living in the U.S. for five years, refugees’ employment declines.

The federal government approaches refugee resettlement with a rapid, self-sufficiency approach, which doesn’t always offer enough resources to refugees for long-term success.

Despite refugees being eligible for federal employment support and many coming into the U.S. with professional experience and certified degrees, research has found they are less likely to be employed the longer they live in the U.S.

https://thehill.com/changing-america/respect/accessibility/593930-refugees-in-the-us-cant-retain-employment-for-long/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Re: Refugees in the US can’t retain employment for long: study says
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2023, 10:25:28 pm »
I'm just heartbroken! When My parents and other legal immigrants were allowed to immigrate, only after government approval, they were not allowed to seek or accept any aid from government federal or local for five years under penalty of deportation and they didn't give a rats ass if a baby was born on American soil during that time. When and why was that stopped and why aren't we looking to reinstate it?

Offline berdie

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2023, 10:41:28 pm »
I'm just heartbroken! When My parents and other legal immigrants were allowed to immigrate, only after government approval, they were not allowed to seek or accept any aid from government federal or local for five years under penalty of deportation and they didn't give a rats ass if a baby was born on American soil during that time. When and why was that stopped and why aren't we looking to reinstate it?

The lack of reinstatement me evades me. I have a very dear friend that came here when she was two.

Her family had to pay quite a bit, have a sponsor and agree to no federal assistance.

What has happened? rhetorical

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2023, 02:21:23 am »

The lack of reinstatement me evades me. I have a very dear friend that came here when she was two.

Her family had to pay quite a bit, have a sponsor and agree to no federal assistance.

What has happened? rhetorical
Everyone in the past, unless well off financially had to have a sponsor that would be financially responsible, for my parents it was a Catholic church which primarily served the Hungarian community and both my parents had to work for the church for a period of time. They brought four children into the world and paid the hospital themselves and for all our medical, food clothing, etc. Even after the five year period was up they never sought any aid, they would have been very embarrassed.