State Chapters > Pennsylvania

Pennsylvania governor says he won't sign any execution warrants, calls for abolishing death penalty

(1/1)

Timber Rattler:
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/pennsylvania-gov-josh-shapiro-says-wont-sign-execution-warrants-calls-rcna71108

--- Quote ---Pennsylvania Gov. Josh Shapiro said Thursday that he will not sign any execution warrants while in office and called on the General Assembly to abolish the death penalty.

"I will not issue any execution warrants during my term as governor. When an execution warrant comes to my desk, I will sign a reprieve each and every time," Shapiro, a Democrat, said at Mosaic Community Church in West Philadelphia, adding that the first execution warrant since he was sworn in crossed his desk last week.

"The Commonwealth shouldn’t be in the business of putting people to death. Period. I believe that in my heart. This is a fundamental statement of morality. Of what’s right and wrong."

Shapiro made his comments alongside state legislators, community activists and criminal justice advocates, noting that his view on capital punishment had evolved over the years.

While he was the state's attorney general, Shapiro indicated support for the death penalty in the case of Robert Bowers, the suspected gunman in the 2018 Pittsburgh synagogue shooting that left 11 people dead. Bowers' federal trial is scheduled to start in April.

Shapiro said Thursday that after having taken a close look at the criminal justice system as the state's chief law enforcement officer, he came to the realization that "the system is fallible, and the outcome is irreversible."
--- End quote ---

Fishrrman:
Spoken like a true democrat-communist...

mountaineer:
One of the beneficiaries of Shapiro's policy.
--- Quote ---Suspect arrested in slaying of university police officer
by Associated Press
February 19, 2023 12:39 PM

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — An 18-year-old suspect has been arrested in the death of a Temple University police officer shot and killed near campus Saturday night after reportedly trying to intervene in a carjacking, authorities said.

The Bucks County district attorney’s office said the suspect was taken into custody shortly after 7 a.m. Sunday at his Buckingham Township home by township and Philadelphia police as well as state police and federal marshals. ...

Pennsylvania Gov. Josh Shapiro tweeted that he and first lady Lori were “devastated for the family of the Temple University police officer who was killed in the line of duty tonight, bravely serving his community.”

They sent prayers to his family, Temple police and the university community, he added, saying, “May his memory be a blessing.” ...
--- End quote ---
Washington Examiner

Other sources identify the killer as Miles Pfeffer, 18, of Buckingham Township, Pennsylvania. Here he is, being marched to a police car.

sneakypete:

--- Quote from: Timber Rattler on February 17, 2023, 10:56:30 am ---https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/pennsylvania-gov-josh-shapiro-says-wont-sign-execution-warrants-calls-rcna71108

--- End quote ---

@Timber Rattler

"We iz da wurld.......

We iz da peep-pulls......"

Sang hit,Josh!

mountaineer:
I guess it's a good thing this guy was tried in federal court, then.
--- Quote ---Pittsburgh synagogue shooter should be put to death, jury decides
Paula Reed Ward And Justin Vellucci | Wednesday, Aug. 2, 2023 12:15 p.m.

After hearing weeks of grueling, graphic and often heartbreaking testimony, a jury unanimously decided Wednesday that Robert Bowers should be put to death for killing 11 people at a Pittsburgh synagogue nearly five years ago.

It is the result that most of the victims’ families wanted, and one that prosecutors worked hard to earn.

Bowers, 50, of Baldwin, was convicted of killing 11 Jewish congregants in his Oct. 27, 2018, attack on the Tree of Life synagogue in Squirrel Hill.

Jurors in June found Bowers guilty of all 63 counts against him and then in July found him eligible for a possible death sentence. ...
--- End quote ---
Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version