Author Topic: OK,bought reconditioned laptop  (Read 1879 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
OK,bought reconditioned laptop
« on: February 16, 2023, 12:33:45 am »
Can't get things going because it insists it needs a password I don't have in order to log in to change the password and user account name.

Ironically enough,the damn  thing has the new phone number I just killed yesterday when I got my old phone number back,and insists I use that so it can call me to verify my identity.

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: OK,bought reconditioned laptop
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2023, 12:58:06 am »
Can't get things going because it insists it needs a password I don't have in order to log in to change the password and user account name.

Ironically enough,the damn  thing has the new phone number I just killed yesterday when I got my old phone number back,and insists I use that so it can call me to verify my identity.
Have you tried leaving the password blank?

@roamer_1
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2023, 06:19:59 am »

@sneakypete
Wake the phone back up, and find out.

Normally a new box has no password... And just walks you through creating a new user, and away you go... So obviously, it is not new, nor is it loaded 'as new'. So just about anything goes. You could try Admin/Admin, Admin/Password, but it could literally be anything.

Best bet, without contacting the previous owner, would be an operation system reload. or find a hacker to hack the existing and fix the password issue.

While I can do both, I can't really tell you how over the innertubes.  :shrug:

You need a tech.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2023, 08:15:10 am »
I don't even have a password for this computer, never entered one, didn't want one... just one more step I had to take in my own dang house... in which everyone (household) is free to use my computer anyhoo...
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2023, 08:17:58 am »
I don't even have a password for this computer, never entered one, didn't want one... just one more step I had to take in my own dang house... in which everyone (household) is free to use my computer anyhoo...

Dunno how you did that... They all require a password nowadays.
Now, you CAN have it auto-login... That's where it has a password, but it is set up to always login to the same account automatically.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2023, 08:20:20 am »
Dunno how you did that... They all require a password nowadays.
Now, you CAN have it auto-login... That's where it has a password, but it is set up to always login to the same account automatically.

I guess is my password is "Enter"??? Nothing typed in. It just says "sign in" and I hit enter.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 08:24:20 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2023, 08:31:27 am »
I guess is my password is "Enter"??? Nothing typed in. It just says "sign in" and I hit enter.

I didn't even know that was possible.

However, it is not wise.

Someone attempting to control your box remotely... The password is the final defense.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2023, 02:15:51 pm »
@sneakypete

Thought about it Sneaks...
Try to contact the seller.
If no joy, initiate a stop-payment and call the seller again.
Nothing says 'It's me' like controlling the money.

Then, either you get the password help from him, or you ain't out the money.
Either way, selling you a password protected machine ain't kosher.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2023, 02:18:48 pm »
@sneakypete

Thought about it Sneaks...
Try to contact the seller.
If no joy, initiate a stop-payment and call the seller again.
Nothing says 'It's me' like controlling the money.

Then, either you get the password help from him, or you ain't out the money.
Either way, selling you a password protected machine ain't kosher.

:thumbsup:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2023, 05:20:11 am »
Have you tried leaving the password blank?

@roamer_1

@Smokin Joe

Not on this one. Not even purposly on any other one,either.

I am going nuts. My new cell phone that I just bought today won't make any calls or even  answer any calls because that "page" seems to have disappeared. Had a hot possibility  working tonight to be able to log into Amazon before I forgot what I was doing,and then I couldn't find the damn dialer to punch  the buttons.

Amazon help is a freaking sick joke. Not long ago you could chat with a live person that could fix any  of your log-in problems,and now the BEST you can get is a site that charges you a fee to do this.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2023, 05:24:03 am »
@sneakypete
Wake the phone back up, and find out.

Normally a new box has no password... And just walks you through creating a new user, and away you go... So obviously, it is not new, nor is it loaded 'as new'. So just about anything goes. You could try Admin/Admin, Admin/Password, but it could literally be anything.

Best bet, without contacting the previous owner, would be an operation system reload. or find a hacker to hack the existing and fix the password issue.

While I can do both, I can't really tell you how over the innertubes.  :shrug:

You need a tech.

@roamer_1

It was a reconditioned Dell I bought from Amazon. The seller already has the money,and amazon no longer has online live help.

BTW,I bought the damn thing using a phone number I can no longer access.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2023, 05:25:52 am »
:thumbsup:

@Kamaji

Amazon was the seller,and because of my now dead email addresses,I can no longer log into Amazon to complain,ask for help,or tell them  to go piss up  a tree.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2023, 05:35:49 am »
@roamer_1

It was a reconditioned Dell I bought from Amazon. The seller already has the money,and amazon no longer has online live help.

BTW,I bought the damn thing using a phone number I can no longer access.

@sneakypete

WELL, if you are SOL, then the only way forward is to rub it off and reinstall, or hack the box and change the existing password. Either way, I think you need a tech to do it.

Hopefully the password is in Windows, and not in CMOS, because if it is a CMOS password, it is another whole thing. If it IS CMOS and tied to the hard drive, it's dang near a brick... I could fix it, but your average tech won't be able to.

So pray it is a windows password, take it to town, and find a tech. Might as well take in your other one too, as all it needed was a rub and restore too...

« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 05:36:52 am by roamer_1 »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2023, 07:29:24 am »
@Kamaji

Amazon was the seller,and because of my now dead email addresses,I can no longer log into Amazon to complain,ask for help,or tell them  to go piss up  a tree.

@Kamaji

BTW,Amazon no longer has a live human you can talk to if you need help. They do give you a phone number you can call if you are willing to pay someone to try to help you log in on Amazon.

Amazon has been MY "go to" place to shop for anything and everything. Does anyone know of an alternative?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2023, 07:34:55 am »
@sneakypete

WELL, if you are SOL, then the only way forward is to rub it off and reinstall, or hack the box and change the existing password. Either way, I think you need a tech to do it.

Hopefully the password is in Windows, and not in CMOS, because if it is a CMOS password, it is another whole thing. If it IS CMOS and tied to the hard drive, it's dang near a brick... I could fix it, but your average tech won't be able to.

So pray it is a windows password, take it to town, and find a tech. Might as well take in your other one too, as all it needed was a rub and restore too...

@roamer_1

I know of no one within  75 miles that does this,and I am NOT real crazy about allowing a stranger access to my screen names and passwords.

IF I have to,I can always create ONE MORE screen name and password,and sign in as a newbie under an alias,but having multiple passwords with  screen names in no way related to me or my  life is partially what got me where I am now.

AND "Mr Chemo Brain",of course.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2023, 01:20:23 pm »
@roamer_1

I know of no one within  75 miles that does this,and I am NOT real crazy about allowing a stranger access to my screen names and passwords.

IF I have to,I can always create ONE MORE screen name and password,and sign in as a newbie under an alias,but having multiple passwords with  screen names in no way related to me or my  life is partially what got me where I am now.

AND "Mr Chemo Brain",of course.

@sneakypete

You can't keep your shit away from a competent tech, even if you wanted to.

But in this case, in BOTH cases, there won't be anything for the tech to see - If both machines get a rub and re-install, nothing will be on either one except windows.

And if the tech is competent, he will leave it ready for first use - Which does not have a user onboard at all. Or will have a throw-away user in order to complete updates and such, allowing you to access the box and make the real user at your convenience, deleting the temporary one at that time.

That's how you'd get it from me.

I am sorry. But that's what you get.  :shrug:

I could try and learn you over the phone if you want, But it is a long process, and would require at least one working computer to download the installation files... And no offense meant, but with your brain fried, I don't know that you're up to it.  :shrug:

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2023, 11:19:14 pm »
Too bad it's not a Mac (new or used), Pete.

I could have you fixed up in no time!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2023, 12:37:13 am »
Too bad it's not a Mac (new or used), Pete.

I could have you fixed up in no time!

@Fishrrman @roamer_1  @Kamaji  @Fishrrman

Well,after a few days of screaming fits and lost sleep,I found a solution to this problem.

I still have my old cell phone,so I am going to take it to the Verizon store in town tomorrow,and pay to have the phone number related to ALL my web accounts activated on that phone.

That way I can stop scaring the cats by having a number all these web sites already have or record for me,and then change to my new number once I have logged on to them.

What is truly confusing about these companies making this so hard is that I owe a balance  to Amazon and one other retailer,and can't pay my bills off because they won't let me use my new number.

STILL pissed off about Amazon and the other company having a billable help line. I have no idea how much  money  they  might make on that operation,but I strongly suspect it is peanuts compared to anger of their customers once they get into a situation like mine and can't pay their damn bills  because the retailers insist on sticking to an archaic system of registerations and logging in.

So what if it costs me 30 or 40 bucks for one month of activation? The anger and frustration it will save me makes it a bargain.

I am NOT going to "cut off my nose to spite my face" by completely shunning Amazon,though.  I will continue to buy bulky  and heavy  items from them SOLELY  because of my  health issues and the fact they will deliver them to my door,making life a lot less painful for me.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2023, 12:40:50 am by sneakypete »

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2023, 01:25:00 am »

Well,after a few days of screaming fits and lost sleep,I found a solution to this problem.

I still have my old cell phone,so I am going to take it to the Verizon store in town tomorrow,and pay to have the phone number related to ALL my web accounts activated on that phone.

@sneakypete

All of my online activity is tied first to an email account, not my phone.
And that email account is online (Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, etc), which makes it semi-permanent... I can drop my ISP or my carrier without losing sleep because the mail addy that came with it is gone. No jiggering.

Now, after I have signed up by email, THEN I may tie my phone to the site for ease of purchasing, etc... All the major sites have 2-part verification, so I use the phone as the second part. IF I change phones, I can fix it by email, and visa-versa.

Might give that a thought or two.
You could do the same... Set up two-part verification using an online mail service and your phone... Then either one can suffice if there is trouble.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2023, 02:51:50 am »
@sneakypete

All of my online activity is tied first to an email account, not my phone.
And that email account is online (Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, etc), which makes it semi-permanent... I can drop my ISP or my carrier without losing sleep because the mail addy that came with it is gone. No jiggering.

Now, after I have signed up by email, THEN I may tie my phone to the site for ease of purchasing, etc... All the major sites have 2-part verification, so I use the phone as the second part. IF I change phones, I can fix it by email, and visa-versa.

Might give that a thought or two.
You could do the same... Set up two-part verification using an online mail service and your phone... Then either one can suffice if there is trouble.

@roamer_1

Mine was set up that way for years. I have no idea what changed,unless the web sites started demanding phone numbers for account verification.

Hell,when I sign up to a new website,I almost never even use my real name. I SUSPECT the retailers decided to use my/our phone numbers for verification because it was quicker and easier for them. Scanning numbers instead of complex passwords would be both quicker and more accurate because in the end,it is humans handling the "final product".

Don't really know,don't really care. I will only be buyin4032160007480144g stuff from Amazon from here on out that I either can't get locally,or is too heavy and bulky for me to load up,drive home,and then unload it and take it in the house. I will let the Amazon driver leave it at my  door.

At one time I could deadlift more than 450 lbs. Now picking up 50 lbs causes me problems.