Author Topic: Ohio train derailment lawyer issues stark warning to impacted families: 'Don't take the money'  (Read 879 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
February 15, 2023 4:20pm EST
Ohio train derailment lawyer issues stark warning to impacted families: 'Don't take the money'
A Northfolk Southern freight train carrying hazardous materials derailed on February 3

By Madeline Coggins FOXBusiness

Nearly two weeks after a train derailed carrying hazardous materials, East Palestine, Ohio residents are grappling with the consequences of the incident. While facing health concerns and a lack of resources, residents were also forced to relocate in the aftermath of the train crash.

Norfolk Southern, the company whose train crashed, has offered compensation to those who were forced to relocate - but one lawyer warned residents that the offer could come with a catch.

"We want to get out the word to folks. Do not, if you can afford it, again, emphasizing if you can afford it, do not take this upfront money. But if you do, be aware that these folks might argue later that this is payment in full," Lipson O’Shea Legal Group principal and owner Michael O’Shea said on "Cavuto: Coast to Coast" Wednesday.

O'Shea explained two types of fees Norfolk Southern is offering for those affected by the train crash. The first is a reimbursement fee to residents within a one-mile radius of the crash site for dislocation costs, covering hotels and other necessities needed following the evacuation. The second is an inconvenience fee.

more
https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/ohio-train-derailment-lawyer-issues-stark-warning-to-impacted-families-dont-take-the-money
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Right_in_Virginia

"The line to get into the East Palestine town hall tonight stretches for a half mile. THOUSANDS of people are PISSED and none of them trust what the government is telling them." (Video)

https://mobile.twitter.com/bennyjohnson/status/1626032448994787328

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Contrast the woke bleeding heart reponse and massive support and shipping in of supplies to Flint vs. this event which IMO is 10X the level of disaster, especially in the issue of "short and long term danger"

In this eye's of this country's despicable government.....  only "Ideology and Wokeness" matters
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

"East Palestine resident unfiltered:

"The railroad called me today & said they'd pay all my moving expenses, first and last month rent because I can't go in that house. How many of these people are sleeping in houses where there kids are laying there breathing that stuff in?" (Video)

https://mobile.twitter.com/CitizenFreePres/status/1626035136751091713

Nick Sortor
@nicksortor

The people of East Palestine are PISSED OFF.

The mayor is holding a town hall at East Palestine High School, and the people are DETERMINED to hold the government accountable!

8:00 PM · Feb 15, 2023

Offline Kamaji

Contrast the woke bleeding heart reponse and massive support and shipping in of supplies to Flint vs. this event which IMO is 10X the level of disaster, especially in the issue of "short and long term danger"

In this eye's of this country's despicable government.....  only "Ideology and Wokeness" matters

:thumbsup:

"Residents Near East Palestine Tell Tucker Carlson They Were Told To Sign A Waiver To Promise To Not Sue Agencies Monitoring The Air Near Their Property   Tucker: "Having the company whose train derailed test for the effects of the derailment is a little like putting Pfizer in charge of the FDA, oh I guess we did that." (Video)

https://mobile.twitter.com/ColumbiaBugle/status/1626029075323142148

Nick Sortor
@nicksortor

The people of East Palestine left the government’s town hall with more questions than answers.

In fact, MANY of them were so angry about the “non-answers” that they walked out in the middle.

Yet ANOTHER utter failure by government. These people don’t deserve this treatment!

10:20 PM · Feb 15, 2023

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
:thumbsup:

I think we need to work up a "Go Fund Me" to buy some Justin Trudeau black face garb, and send 5000 of these to the citizens of East Palestine.   That might be enough of a call to action for the Fed turds, to get them to respond

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Catturd ™
@catturd

Good morning to everyone except the incompetent, criminal morons who decided to light tons of dangerous chemicals on fire in a "contained" area in Palestine Ohio - thus spreading it for hundreds of miles with a deadly, toxic mushroom cloud. 

Arrest everyone involved.

5:43 AM · Feb 16, 2023

'The people want answers!' Furious mayor tears into Ohio rail crash company Norfolk Southern as it runs scared of East Palestine town hall meeting because officials 'were afraid for their safety' - as state now threatens to sue
Daily Mail/UK, Feb 15, 2023

Rail company Norfolk Southern ran scared of a town hall meeting in East Palestine tonight because officials 'were afraid for their safety' following the chemical train derailment disaster.

Representatives were due to attend to help explain what happened and how they could repair the devastation - and soothe fears of potential long term health problems including cancer.

But the town's mayor Trent Conaway revealed just before the packed meeting at the local high school: 'The people want answers. I want answers.

'Norfolk Southern didn't show up.'

Asked why, he said: 'Because they are scared for their safety.'

More:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11756719/Ohio-rail-crash-company-Norfolk-Southern-runs-scared-town-hall-meeting-East-Palestine.html

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Nick Sortor
@nicksortor

The people of East Palestine are PISSED OFF.

The mayor is holding a town hall at East Palestine High School, and the people are DETERMINED to hold the government accountable!

8:00 PM · Feb 15, 2023
It's just part of the gym, but most of the faces there are white.

Forget Federal aid.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Folks would be wise to NOT take Norfolk Southern's "first offer".
There's a reason for this, it's a longstanding railroad practice.

You should realize that there's no "workman's compensation" on the railroads (or there wasn't when I spent my time there).

Instead, an employee who gets injured on the job usually gets a lawyer to represent him in a damage claim against "the company".

As a countermeasure, the railroad will usually "make an offer" of settlement, IF the employee forgoes legal representation.

So NS is acting towards the folks in Ohio, in a similar manner.

Here's money, take it!
But what's not mentioned is that doing so may make it impossible to get any more later on...

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

Norfolk Southern Says they “Accidentally” Asked East Palestine Residents to Sign Legal Waivers as Condition of Contamination Tests
February 16, 2023 | Sundance

When Ohio Senator JD Vance was briefing the press earlier today, he was asked about East Palestine residents being required to sign indemnity waivers, releasing Norfolk Southern Railway from legal liability, as a requirement of having their water/air tests conducted on their property.

Senator Vance said he talked to a resident about it, then reviewed the contract and confirmed the indemnity demand.  Vance then immediately called Norfolk Southern Railroad officials and asked them about it.  According to Vance, the response from Norfolk Southern Railway was that the liability waiver was accidentally presented. 

more
https://theconservativetreehouse.com/blog/2023/02/16/norfolk-southern-says-they-accidentally-asked-east-palestine-residents-to-sign-legal-waivers-as-condition-of-contamination-tests/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Kamaji

Norfolk Southern Says they “Accidentally” Asked East Palestine Residents to Sign Legal Waivers as Condition of Contamination Tests
February 16, 2023 | Sundance

When Ohio Senator JD Vance was briefing the press earlier today, he was asked about East Palestine residents being required to sign indemnity waivers, releasing Norfolk Southern Railway from legal liability, as a requirement of having their water/air tests conducted on their property.

Senator Vance said he talked to a resident about it, then reviewed the contract and confirmed the indemnity demand.  Vance then immediately called Norfolk Southern Railroad officials and asked them about it.  According to Vance, the response from Norfolk Southern Railway was that the liability waiver was accidentally presented. 

more
https://theconservativetreehouse.com/blog/2023/02/16/norfolk-southern-says-they-accidentally-asked-east-palestine-residents-to-sign-legal-waivers-as-condition-of-contamination-tests/

If it was an accident, then they should have no problem formally rescinding all such waivers immediately, should they?