Author Topic: F-16s intercept Russian bomber, fighter aircraft near Alaska  (Read 79 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
F-16s intercept Russian bomber, fighter aircraft near Alaska
« on: February 15, 2023, 06:11:47 pm »
F-16s intercept Russian bomber, fighter aircraft near Alaska
By COREY DICKSTEIN
STARS AND STRIPES • February 14, 2023

F-16 fighter jets intercepted Russian bomber and fighter aircraft in international airspace off Alaska’s coast Monday in an incident defense officials said was unrelated to a series of objects shot down over North America in recent days.

North American Aerospace Defense Command scrambled two F-16s to intercept the four Russian aircraft — two TU-95 BEAR-H bombers and two SU-35 fighters — after they entered the Alaska Air Defense Identification Zone, or ADIZ, according to a NORAD statement issued Tuesday. Officials described the intercept as routine and professional.

“This Russian activity in the North American ADIZ occurs regularly and is not seen as a threat, nor is the activity seen as provocative,” according to the statement from NORAD, the joint U.S.-Canadian military organization charged with protecting airspace over the two nations. “NORAD had anticipated this Russian activity and, as a result of our planning, was prepared to intercept it.”

https://www.stripes.com/theaters/us/2023-02-14/f16s-russian-aircraft-intercept-alaska-9139560.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson