Author Topic: Scottish leader Nicola Sturgeon QUITS after furious backlash againts her relaxed trans laws  (Read 380 times)

Online Kamaji

Toppled by woke: Scottish leader Nicola Sturgeon QUITS after furious backlash againts her relaxed trans laws

By DAVID WILCOCK, DEPUTY POLITICAL EDITOR FOR MAILONLINE
15 February 2023

Nicola Sturgeon took the country - and her own party - by surprise today as she quit as Scotland's first minister and Scottish National Party leader.

Ms Sturgeon, 52, announced her intention to resign at a press conference this morning, in a move that appears to have blindsided all but her closest aides.

SNP sources suggested that no one apart from Ms Sturgeon's husband and party chief executive Peter Murrell knew about it.

Source:  https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11753327/Nicola-Sturgeon-RESIGN-Minister-Scotland.html

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Scotland is so messed up....

I couldn't tell from the Article what side of trans debate she's on.  Is she in favor of self-definition of gender, or not?

Online Kamaji

Scotland is so messed up....

I couldn't tell from the Article what side of trans debate she's on.  Is she in favor of self-definition of gender, or not?

She's pro-trans, is my understanding.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Got it.  Pretty much the whole country is so far left that there seems to be only leftists, and further leftists.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
It's a Kilt, damnit! Not a bloody skirt!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Nicola Sturgeon unexpectedly quits as first minister of Scotland amid swirl of political setbacks, citing ‘brutality’ of public life
CNN, Feb 15, 2023

[...]

“First, though I know it will be tempting to see it as such, this decision is not a reaction to short-term pressures,” said Sturgeon, who has been facing increasing tensions with the UK government in London over Scottish independence, as well as Westminster’s decision to block a Scottish law intended to allow trans people in Scotland to change their legal gender without a medical diagnosis.

“This decision comes from a deeper and longer term assessment,” she added.

Sturgeon said she could no longer give her full energy to the job, and that she felt she must say so now. “I have been wrestling with it, albeit with oscillating levels of intensity for some weeks,” the 52-year-old leader said. “Giving absolutely everything of yourself to this job is the only way to do it.”

She said it was difficult to have a private life, noting it was hard to “meet friends for a coffee or go for a walk on your own” and observed that there was a “brutality” to life at the top.

[...]

While Sturgeon underlined that she felt she didn’t have enough left in the tank to perform her duties, her list of political headaches has grown. The SNP’s polling has dipped, making a dent in its grip on Scottish politics. The independence movement has stalled, with no real chance of a referendum on the cards any time soon.

She has lost support in her party since she attempted to introduce the controversial bill on gender identification, with some polls suggesting a majority of Scots supported the decision of the UK government to use its powers to block the proposal. And her husband was caught in a scandal at the end of last year, after it was reported he had personally loaned the SNP £100,000.

In short, having dominated Scottish politics for eight years, wielding the independence baseball bat and regularly using it to batter the UK government, Sturgeon might have decided to quit before her legacy is tarnished by failure.

More:
https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/15/uk/nicola-sturgeon-resigns-scotland-intl/index.html

Online Kamaji

She has lost support in her party since she attempted to introduce the controversial bill on gender identification, with some polls suggesting a majority of Scots supported the decision of the UK government to use its powers to block the proposal.

That is why she is resigning; not any nonsense about being too tired to continue devoting her full time to it.  She's a career politician, so she lives and breathes this nonsense.