Author Topic: Get Ready for Trump to Attack DeSantis from the Left  (Read 623 times)

Online cato potatoe

Get Ready for Trump to Attack DeSantis from the Left
« on: February 13, 2023, 12:23:45 am »
Get Ready for Trump to Attack DeSantis from the Left

By PHILIP KLEIN February 10, 2023 11:27 AM

Florida governor Ron DeSantis is most known for his relatively early abandonment of Covid restrictions and aggressive battles against wokeness in all its manifestations. But he entered politics before today’s culture-war battles were front and center, when the Tea Party was still strong, and when a desire to shrink government was what separated the real conservatives from the RINO wing.

In a post reacting to the Social Security and Medicare dustup between Republicans and President Biden during the State of the Union, Josh Barro reminds his readers that as a member of the House of Representatives, DeSantis not only supported Paul Ryan-style proposals to overhaul entitlements but actually voted for conservative alternatives that went further. Much of Barro’s post is about how Biden could exploit this record in a face-off against DeSantis. But it’s likely that DeSantis will face these attacks well before any theoretical general-election match-up — from Donald Trump.

Trump has consistently rejected the idea of entitlement reform, which he sees as a political loser. Currently, he is lecturing Republicans that they shouldn’t cut a single penny out of Social Security and Medicare. He reiterated that point again yesterday and diverted attention to much smaller items in the federal budget, such as foreign aid, gender-ideology instruction in the military, illegal immigration, and “waste and fraud.”

more
https://www.nationalreview.com/2023/02/get-ready-for-trump-to-attack-desantis-from-the-left/?utm_source=recirc-desktop&utm_medium=homepage&utm_campaign=hero&utm_content=related&utm_term=first

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Get Ready for Trump to Attack DeSantis from the Left
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2023, 12:37:13 am »
Like this?

Trump is now referring to GOP rival DeSantis as 'Meatball Ron' and 'Shutdown Ron' as ex-president tries to paint Florida governor as a lockdown hypocrite who closed his state

Donald Trump has ramped up his attacks against Ron DeSantis in recent weeks
    DeSantis has not yet declared his intent to run for the White House but his refusal to rule out a 2024 challenge to Trump has angered the ex-president
    Trump has also privately called DeSantis 'Shutdown Ron,' according to report

By Elizabeth Elkind, U.S. Political Reporter For Dailymail.Com

Published: 16:30 EST, 12 February 2023 | Updated: 16:41 EST, 12 February 2023

more
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11742767/Trump-DeSantis-Meatball-Ron-report.html

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online cato potatoe

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2023, 12:48:15 am »
Don't know about you, but entitlements are a dealbreaker between me and the GOP going forward.  The US faces a catastrophic debt crisis, in which SSA and Medicare play no insignificant role.

https://budgetmodel.wharton.upenn.edu/issues/2022/6/22/us-fiscal-imbalance-june-2022

The party must embrace a platform which benefits younger Americans.  If Trump ignores their biggest problem, he surely doesn't deserve their votes. 

Online DB

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2023, 12:48:20 am »
I'll be glad when the adolescent name taunts are behind us.

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2023, 12:50:00 am »
Meatball Ron? Shutdown Ron? If you’re going to behave in this manner, at least be clever.
The angry old man is losing his touch.
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Online cato potatoe

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2023, 12:51:11 am »
Trump is now referring to GOP rival DeSantis as 'Meatball Ron' and 'Shutdown Ron' as ex-president tries to paint Florida governor as a lockdown hypocrite who closed his state

You gotta be kidding me.  I came Tampa in June 2020, and just about everything was open, in spite of the Trump CDC guidelines.  Are Republicans dumb enough to fall for this?

Offline LMAO

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2023, 01:02:53 am »
You gotta be kidding me.  I came Tampa in June 2020, and just about everything was open, in spite of the Trump CDC guidelines.  Are Republicans dumb enough to fall for this?

I might be wrong on this, but wasn’t Trump critical of governors opening their states too early
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline LMAO

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2023, 01:03:37 am »
I'll be glad when the adolescent name taunts are behind us.

But it excites his  diminishing base of supporters
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2023, 01:08:52 am »
In fairness, the "Meatball Ron" nickname is one he only "reportedly" has used in private.

But he definitely has gone after DeSantis for his COVID response, which does seem like an odd tactic.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2023, 01:39:13 am »
Waiting for RiV to weigh in.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2023, 05:32:01 pm »
Meatball Ron? Shutdown Ron? If you’re going to behave in this manner, at least be clever.
The angry old man is losing his touch.
By popular demand, Co. Jones Productions’ spaghetti and meatball western, “DESANTIS,” will be released in the U.S. as “DEATHSANTIS.”

https://twitter.com/GiancarloSopo/status/1662489562218725376

Now that's clever.  :whistle:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2023, 05:55:57 pm »
By popular demand, Co. Jones Productions’ spaghetti and meatball western, “DESANTIS,” will be released in the U.S. as “DEATHSANTIS.”

An homage to our first Italian American president

Give it a month, and Biden will be passing himself off as the first Italian-American President.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2023, 06:11:59 pm »
Give it a month, and Biden will be passing himself off as the first Italian-American President.
I thought he was Puerto Rican. Or black.  :pondering:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2023, 09:16:18 pm »

https://twitter.com/GiancarloSopo/status/1662489562218725376

Now that's clever.  :whistle:

:silly:
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell