Author Topic: Travel Reset: ‘We May Not Actually Need All That’ lithium, cobalt, & nickel for EVs  (Read 394 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Travel Reset: ‘We May Not Actually Need All That’ lithium, cobalt, & nickel for EVs – Instead report calls for ‘getting Americans out of cars’ & mandate ‘living in dense, walkable & bikeable areas’ w/ mass transit

Excerpt: Read any article about the clean energy revolution, and chances are you’ll run into some staggering numbers about how demand for lithium, cobalt, nickel, and other minerals and metals is projected to rise over the next few decades. But the future isn’t set in stone. The U.S. may need up to 90% less of these materials if it simply prioritizes things like public transit, urban walkability, and smaller cars, according to groundbreaking new research from the Climate and Community Project and University of California, Davis. ... The new report urges more people live in dense, walkable and bikeable areas; take improved public transit; and own fewer and smaller cars...

“There are political challenges around getting Americans out of cars, but we should agree that the science says that that would help a lot to reduce emissions from transportation," Thea Riofrancos, an associate professor of political science at Providence College and one of the authors of the report, said.

By: Marc Morano - Climate DepotFebruary 10, 2023 9:14 AM

https://www.climatedepot.com/2023/02/10/travel-reset-we-may-not-actually-need-all-that-lithium-cobalt-nickel-for-solar-wind-evs-instead-report-calls-for-getting-americans-out-of-cars-mandate-living-in-dense-walkable/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
report calls for ‘getting Americans out of cars’ & mandate ‘living in dense, walkable & bikeable areas’ w/ mass transit

Isn't that the definition of ghetto?
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
And the Green Economy bait and switch.

You will own nothing and you will love it.
The Republic is lost.

Offline roamer_1

Isn't that the definition of ghetto?

Cabrini Greens came immediately to mind... This is the very same old song they always sing. And every time, these 'controlled, designed neighborhoods' wind up degenerating into ghetto.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Cabrini Greens came immediately to mind...

Used to live about 3 blocks from CB. Good people really, but scary poor.
The Republic is lost.

Offline roamer_1

Used to live about 3 blocks from CB. Good people really, but scary poor.

We were WAY south of all that (Evergreen Park/Oak Lawn/ Alsip/ Garden Homes -ish)

But I learned a bit about it in trips back there in my teens and twenties... When they'd already stripped all the copper out of the buildings and were prone to BBQ in the tubs...

It was my first real and demonstrable example of the failure of liberalism - Especially from the perspective of the individualism and liberty (and lack of racism) I had experienced daily since we all came out west.

To say it left an indelible impression would be a lack of emphasis.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Agenda 21.
The "15-minute city".