Author Topic: When Lippy Generals Challenge Civilian Control  (Read 107 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
When Lippy Generals Challenge Civilian Control
« on: February 11, 2023, 05:35:05 pm »
When Lippy Generals Challenge Civilian Control

Was Air Force Gen. Minihan’s memo dangerous or just dumb?
GREGORY D. FOSTER | FEBRUARY 9, 2023
COMMENTARY PERSONNEL PENTAGON WHITE HOUSE CHINA

News outlets, major and minor, have been quick to jump on and report the controversial memorandum Gen. Michael Minihan, commander of U.S. Air Mobility Command, issued recently to the troops under his command.

The memo, “February 2023 Orders in Preparation for—The Next Fight,” was unclassified. On top of that, Minihan is a big boy, having served in various senior command and staff positions. So, he knew full well that his words would emerge in the public domain and grab headlines of both approbation and disapprobation. We can safely assume that’s exactly how he wanted it.

Minihan is just the latest flag officer to present national command authorities—the Defense Secretary and the President—with a recurring dilemma: whether and how to assert civilian control over the military when faced with outspoken generals and admirals. Relieve them (and thereby end their career)? Coddle them (and treat them as cutesy, attention-grabbing novelties)? Or ignore them (in the hope that they have created nothing more than a momentary tempest in a teapot)?

https://www.defenseone.com/ideas/2023/02/when-lippy-generals-challenge-civilian-control/382715/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: When Lippy Generals Challenge Civilian Control
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2023, 05:40:08 pm »
Minihan is just the latest flag officer to present national command authorities—the Defense Secretary and the President—with a recurring dilemma: whether and how to assert civilian control over the military when faced with outspoken generals and admirals. Relieve them (and thereby end their career)? Coddle them (and treat them as cutesy, attention-grabbing novelties)? Or ignore them (in the hope that they have created nothing more than a momentary tempest in a teapot)?

In this case, I vote "Ignore."  That's the easiest path, and we all know about Biteme's work ethic.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: