Author Topic: More than 200 freed Nicaraguan anti-government protesters, opposition leaders en route to US  (Read 191 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
More than 200 freed Nicaraguan anti-government protesters, opposition leaders en route to US

Issued on: 09/02/2023 - 18:43

Text by:
NEWS WIRES

Some 222 inmates considered by many to be political prisoners of the government of Nicaraguan President Daniel Ortega flew to Washington on Thursday, a senior Biden administration official confirmed.

The government of Nicaragua decided “unilaterally” to release 222 individuals whom they had imprisoned, said the official, who agreed to speak on condition of anonymity. The official noted that some of those released had spent years in prison under terrible conditions for apparently exercising fundamental rights.

Ortega has maintained that his imprisoned opponents and others were behind 2018 street protests that he claims were a plot to overthrow him.

Tens of thousands have fled into exile since Nicaraguan security forces violently put down those antigovernment protests.

The Nicaraguan opposition’s latest count on “political prisoners” held had been 245. It was not immediately clear who was not released.

https://www.france24.com/en/americas/20230209-more-than-200-freed-nicaraguan-anti-government-protesters-opposition-leaders-en-route-to-us?utm_source=wnd&utm_medium=wnd&utm_campaign=syndicated
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
More than 200 freed Nicaraguan anti-government protesters, opposition leaders en route to US

This is what the Nicaraguan government told the US government, huh?  The administration might be wise to check the validity of that claim. :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson