Author Topic: DeSantis eyeing summertime presidential announcement: Report  (Read 847 times)

Offline corbe

DeSantis eyeing summertime presidential announcement: Report
« on: February 09, 2023, 03:48:04 pm »
DeSantis eyeing summertime presidential announcement: Report

by Cami Mondeaux, Breaking News Reporter
February 09, 2023 08:35 AM

Gov. Ron DeSantis (R-FL) is inching closer to launching a White House bid for 2024, with the Florida governor reportedly eyeing an announcement in late May or early June.

Although DeSantis has not announced whether he intends to seek the GOP presidential nomination, several Republican advisers close to the governor say he has already made up his mind on the matter. However, an announcement is not expected to come until after the Sunshine State concludes its legislative session in late May.

“I think his mind is pretty much made up at this point,” a GOP operative told the Hill. “My read on it is: Let’s get through [the legislative] session, get some stuff done, and see where things stand. But unless something changes drastically between now and then, I’d say he’s a go.”

Advisers for DeSantis have already begun the hiring process to beef up his campaign team, with some of the governor’s advisers laying the groundwork for a national campaign, the outlet reported. However, it’s still unclear when he may make the final announcement — with some GOP operatives pushing him to make the move sooner rather than later.

<..snip..>

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.washingtonexaminer.com%2Fnews%2Fcampaigns%2Fdesantis-eyeing-summertime-presidential-announcement
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline roamer_1

Re: DeSantis eyeing summertime presidential announcement: Report
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2023, 03:53:45 pm »
Wouldn't that be nice?

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2023, 03:57:44 pm »
I think he can safely wait until as late as December 2023 to announce.  By that time, people will be clamoring for a realistic alternative to The Orange Man, and the nomination will pretty much be his for the asking.  DeSantis looks better as a governor than he will as a candidate. There are people out there already raising money for him. There is no reason for him to declare.

There is a reason Trump is baiting him. He is best positioned to just keep his powder dry.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 03:59:19 pm by massadvj »

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2023, 03:59:39 pm »
No wonder we have been experiencing Orange Vulcanic eruptions of late.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2023, 04:02:21 pm »
Sure hope so.  If not him, I'd probably back Pompeo.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2023, 04:04:32 pm »
Sure hope so.  If not him, I'd probably back Pompeo.

I know there is an averison of many to senatorial candidates, but Cotton seems like a good logical choice if he were to run.

I was all behind Cruz in '16, but his J6 comments have sank any chance me backing him this time.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2023, 04:09:52 pm »
I think he can safely wait until as late as December 2023 to announce.  By that time, people will be clamoring for a realistic alternative to The Orange Man, and the nomination will pretty much be his for the asking.  DeSantis looks better as a governor than he will as a candidate. There are people out there already raising money for him. There is no reason for him to declare.

There is a reason Trump is baiting him. He is best positioned to just keep his powder dry.

If DeSantis waits until December, more Republicans are going to enter the primary field which is going to dilute the anti Trump vote.  It also may mean a lot of professional campaign types in the individual states will already have gotten jobs with other Trump challengers.

Might as well do it earlier to narrow down the field as much as possible before the first primaries.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2023, 04:17:26 pm »
If DeSantis waits until December, more Republicans are going to enter the primary field which is going to dilute the anti Trump vote.  It also may mean a lot of professional campaign types in the individual states will already have gotten jobs with other Trump challengers.

Might as well do it earlier to narrow down the field as much as possible before the first primaries.

There can be 100 challengers. None of them will be viable against Trump. The entirety of the anti-Trump movement will coalesce around DeSantis, which Trump well knows.  This is why he is attacking early and often.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2023, 04:20:07 pm »
We got to remember that DeSantis wife's health is kind of tenuous. If she has relapses the whole equation could change.

We need a Plan B, in case.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2023, 07:24:08 pm »
There can be 100 challengers. None of them will be viable against Trump. The entirety of the anti-Trump movement will coalesce around DeSantis, which Trump well knows.  This is why he is attacking early and often.

The problem is that there are a sizable number of Republicans who aren't as conservative as Desantis, and may prefer more moderate Republicans in the primaries. People like Youngkin, or Haley.  If the summer rolls around and there is no sign of DeSantis entering the race, that group of anti-Trump Republicans at least is going to rally around someone else with money, staff, etc..

The first GOP primary debates for the 2016 election were held on August 15th, 2015.   DeSantis would be giving up an awful lot of free airtime and exposure to other Republican candidates if he didn't enter the race until December.  And if he did enter into December, after other candidates had invested so much time, money, and effort into the primaries, I doubt they would just drop out because DeSantis entered.  And, DeSantis would have a much harder time hiring staff in those primary states because they already would have been hired by other campaigns.  That's just a lot of catching up for him to do in a short period of time.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 07:35:13 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2023, 08:38:51 pm »
He needs to be in by Sept. 1 at the latest.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2023, 08:45:15 pm »
He really should stay out of 2024, while Trump is scatting in the pool, and build up his allies and his political capital for a run in 2028.

Online DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2023, 08:56:40 pm »
Does DeSantis plan on making another visit to Nantucket to meet with big money donors?
Self-Annointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2023, 09:35:10 pm »
He really should stay out of 2024, while Trump is scatting in the pool, and build up his allies and his political capital for a run in 2028.

I think him staying out until 2028 might be the best for his personal political future.  But I also think the GOP needs a viable Republican alternative to Trump, and one who can rally anti-Trump Republicans quickly.  If DeSantis doesn't enter, there will be no clear favorite. Anti-Trump Republicans likely would fracture around a bunch of different candidates, and end up handing the nomination to Trump again.

Online cato potatoe

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2023, 10:25:22 pm »
Does DeSantis plan on making another visit to Nantucket to meet with big money donors?

No.  He should try to be outspent, so he can whine about a "stolen" election.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2023, 10:28:34 pm »

Kind of funny to see "conservatives" now attacking people just for being wealthy.  As if being less successful is somehow a virtue.  Unless you're Trump himself, that is, in which case being wealthy is just a sign that you've been successful.

Offline corbe

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2023, 10:30:38 pm »
 :happyhappy:
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2023, 10:34:26 pm »
I think him staying out until 2028 might be the best for his personal political future.

I think his wife is the wild card... and understandably so...

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2023, 10:45:08 pm »
I think his wife is the wild card... and understandably so...

Yep.  Prayers up for her good health.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online cato potatoe

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2023, 10:52:14 pm »

I'm afraid so.  The primary will be crowded with morons like Kasich, who stuck around until May.  Of course, Trump may choose to run again in 2028, or throw his weight behind some lunatic.

Online berdie

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2023, 10:57:20 pm »

*chuckle*