Author Topic: If Reparations Are Owed ... the Democratic Party Should Pay Them  (Read 922 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
If Reparations Are Owed ... the Democratic Party Should Pay Them
« on: February 09, 2023, 03:44:18 pm »
February 9, 2023
By Joe Fried
Every so often, some Democrats call for reparations to compensate Black Americans for slavery and other indignities.

The latest plan comes from San Francisco, where a reparations committee is considering a program that would offer $5 million per qualified Black resident.

Let’s analyze the issue of reparations from the standpoint of morality and practicality.

Most people believe that compensation for misdeeds should come from the people who caused the misdeeds. For example, if John Smith and Joe Brown recklessly damage your car, you expect Smith and Brown (or their insurance companies) to pay for the repairs. Normally, you would not expect the repairs to be financed by the entire town in which you live: That would make no sense.

What if Joe Brown died shortly after the accident? Would you expect his children or grandchildren to pay you? Probably not. Instead, your claim for compensation would be focused on the surviving reckless driver, John Smith. We can apply this logic to the reparations issue.

https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2023/02/if_reparations_are_owed__the_democratic_party_should_pay_them.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: If Reparations Are Owed ... the Democratic Party Should Pay Them
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2023, 03:46:29 pm »
My family already gave - at Andersonville POW camp!  That's enough! :im waiting:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2023, 04:02:32 pm »
I'll pay $1M to every slave my family has owned the past 150 years. 

There ought to be some form or level of statute of limitations for this stupidity.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2023, 04:13:05 pm »
No reparations are owed, and the notion stands against the very founding principles of this nation.

Here it does not matter who your daddy was, or who your grand-daddy was.

Here you have the opportunity to lift yourself up by your OWN bootstraps and make the best of what YOU are, without impediment.

If this generation is held down by racism (which it is not), then that can be corrected to level the field. Whatever happened in the past has no bearing and is incidental...

MANY have come from nothing, and through hard work and perseverance, have found their way to wealth - and that in far more numbers than anywhere else in the history of this planet.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2023, 04:50:29 pm »
I now identify as black....  Where's my money???

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2023, 04:55:44 pm »
No reparations are owed, and the notion stands against the very founding principles of this nation.

Here you have the opportunity to lift yourself up by your OWN bootstraps and make the best of what YOU are, without impediment.

If this generation is held down by racism (which it is not), then that can be corrected to level the field. Whatever happened in the past has no bearing and is incidental...

MANY have come from nothing, and through hard work and perseverance, have found their way to wealth - and that in far more numbers than anywhere else in the history of this planet.

:thumbsup:

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2023, 09:49:39 pm »

Like most self-proclaimed leaders, the scoundrels urging reparations are hurting the people they claim to be championing.
Telling people that they can become wealthy by sitting on their rear ends doing nothing waiting for manna from heaven is horrible advice.
Black Americans aren’t owed anything except an opportunity to succeed like everybody else.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2023, 09:52:25 pm »
Like most self-proclaimed leaders, the scoundrels urging reparations are hurting the people they claim to be championing.
Telling people that they can become wealthy by sitting on their rear ends doing nothing waiting for manna from heaven is horrible advice.
Black Americans aren’t owed anything except an opportunity to succeed like everybody else.

Exactly right.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2023, 09:53:47 pm »
February 9, 2023
By Joe Fried
Every so often, some Democrats call for reparations to compensate Black Americans for slavery and other indignities.

The latest plan comes from San Francisco, where a reparations committee is considering a program that would offer $5 million per qualified Black resident.

Let’s analyze the issue of reparations from the standpoint of morality and practicality.

Most people believe that compensation for misdeeds should come from the people who caused the misdeeds. For example, if John Smith and Joe Brown recklessly damage your car, you expect Smith and Brown (or their insurance companies) to pay for the repairs. Normally, you would not expect the repairs to be financed by the entire town in which you live: That would make no sense.

What if Joe Brown died shortly after the accident? Would you expect his children or grandchildren to pay you? Probably not. Instead, your claim for compensation would be focused on the surviving reckless driver, John Smith. We can apply this logic to the reparations issue.

https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2023/02/if_reparations_are_owed__the_democratic_party_should_pay_them.html
One of the biggest lies pushed by liberals is that all the big Southern segs became Republicans after the 1964 CR bill was passed.
Only one, Strom Thurman, switched parties. All the others remained Dems until they left Congress or died in office.

Offline berdie

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2023, 09:57:15 pm »

Well said. And far better than I could have!

Offline BellyAche

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2023, 10:11:32 pm »
No amount of money in the world will change the reprehensible behavior of many who are faced with life's difficulties and blame everyone but themselves.
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2023, 12:24:48 am »
The fact that the fumbling whites are trying to formulate arguments against paying blacks "reparations" -- instead of simply dismissing the ridiculousness of the idea with a simple "NO!" -- indicates to me that eventually they're going to lose the argument, fold, and pay out the money...

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2023, 12:38:54 am »
The fact that the fumbling whites are trying to formulate arguments against paying blacks "reparations" -- instead of simply dismissing the ridiculousness of the idea with a simple "NO!" -- indicates to me that eventually they're going to lose the argument, fold, and pay out the money...
P.T. Barnum was right….there’s a sucker born every minute. Most of them are American liberals.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2023, 01:27:35 am »

:thumbsup:

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2023, 01:30:05 am »
I personally have no problem with blue cities like San Francisco voting themselves into fiscal oblivion for the sake of "reparations".  Hell, I support it!

Not because the recipients deserve it, but because those the leftists who voted for it and will have to pay do.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2023, 01:38:08 am »
Only Reparations I wouldn't mind paying is for them to be shipped back to Africa w/ an economy boat ticket with the promise to stay there forever. Once back in their homeland they can try to get reparations from their own kin that gathered them up to sell. Otherwise shut the heck up. America is paradise compared to anywhere in Africa. Sorry, not sorry, but the best thing to ever happen to most slaves was perhaps being shipped to America instead of being slaughtered by neighboring tribes.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 01:40:47 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2023, 05:22:16 am »
I personally have no problem with blue cities like San Francisco voting themselves into fiscal oblivion for the sake of "reparations".  Hell, I support it!

Not because the recipients deserve it, but because those the leftists who voted for it and will have to pay do.
I would love to see the exodus of non-blacks if that abomination gets passed. And of course all blacks would be eligible whether they had recently moved to SF or had been living there.
The stunned looks on the faces of all the would be thieves when they realized all the people they were trying to rob had left would be priceless.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2023, 04:06:55 pm »
I would love to see the exodus of non-blacks if that abomination gets passed. And of course all blacks would be eligible whether they had recently moved to SF or had been living there.
The stunned looks on the faces of all the would be thieves when they realized all the people they were trying to rob had left would be priceless.
Seems that California is now toying with the idea of taxing former residents, this way they can still get their greedy hooks in them.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2023, 06:40:32 pm »
Seems that California is now toying with the idea of taxing former residents, this way they can still get their greedy hooks in them.
I don’t know how they’d manage that. If I moved out of my state, and they still tried to tax me, good luck. Any request for tax money for money earned in a different state would be met with a huge middle finger.
I seriously doubt they could constitutionally do it. Not that they wouldn’t try. Many big cities are trying to implement plans to tax suburbs for their worthless liberal schemes/scams.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2023, 08:03:12 pm »

Agree 100%.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-