Author Topic: China’s Balloon May Have Taught the US More Than Beijing Learned From It, General Says  (Read 131 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
China’s Balloon May Have Taught the US More Than Beijing Learned From It, General Says
Still, NORAD’s chief says the U.S. military took “precautions,” including “non-kinetic effects.”
PATRICK TUCKER | FEBRUARY 6, 2023
CHINA MISSILES INTELLIGENCE DRONES

The recently-downed Chinese spy balloon may have sent more useful information to the Pentagon than to Beijing, U.S. military officials said Monday.

The weather balloon presented “a potential opportunity for us to collect intel where we had gaps on prior balloons,” and that could help NORAD more quickly detect future spy attempts, NORAD and NORTHCOM head Gen. Glen David VanHerck told reporters at the Pentagon.

Both the Pentagon and U.S. President Joe Biden drew much online outrage as they waited to fire on the balloon until it had safely passed over the United States and moved over open ocean.

On Monday, VanHerck reiterated what other officials said last week: the sensor package on the balloon offered China no better intelligence capabilities than their satellites and other means already possess.

https://www.defenseone.com/technology/2023/02/chinas-balloon-may-have-taught-pentagon-more-beijing-learned-it-general-says/382642/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
What would you expect the good General to say; "we sure got our asses handed to us with this one!" :tongue2:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I think both countries look like amateur hour buffoons on this one.
The Republic is lost.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Can you say "cover your ass PR move?"
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!