Author Topic: Risk of uncontrolled escalation inches nearer in Ukraine war  (Read 2683 times)

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Risk of uncontrolled escalation inches nearer in Ukraine war
« on: February 07, 2023, 05:44:27 pm »
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2023/feb/6/risk-of-uncontrolled-escalation-inches-nearer-in-u/

Risk of uncontrolled escalation inches nearer in Ukraine war
By Brandon J. Weichert - - Monday, February 6, 2023

For those hoping for a negotiated settlement to end the war in Ukraine, forget it. The conflict that has raged for a year has entered its terminal phase. The Ukrainians have done a gallant job of resisting the initial invasion. Now, however, Moscow has fully mobilized at the precise moment that NATO‘s critical stockpiles of weapons and Ukraine‘s forces are wearing down.

Plus, Russia’s leadership has made it clear that they view this struggle against Ukraine as an existential fight — not only for the survival of the autocratic regime of Vladimir Putin but for the continued existence of Russia as a unified nation-state itself.

NATO only gets more desperate with each moment that passes in Ukraine. In its desperation, the risk of uncontrolled escalation inches nearer — which may involve nuclear weapons. What a switch from just six months ago, when it truly looked like it was Russia that might end up losing and collapsing in the face of stiff Ukrainian resistance.

Had the West had real statesmen in charge as opposed to the lot of childlike, ideological lunatics, a negotiated settlement that split Ukraine in half might have been brokered. Time would have been bought for NATO to restore its spent arsenals and for Ukraine to reestablish sensible defensive perimeters around the core of that nation. And Mr. Putin just might have been overthrown for having failed to knock out the U.S.-backed government in Kyiv.

But that window has closed.

More at URL above...

Offline Kamaji

Re: Risk of uncontrolled escalation inches nearer in Ukraine war
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2023, 05:52:38 pm »
Wow.  What pure pro-Putin b.s.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2023, 06:19:39 pm »
If America had a president like Winston Churchill, Ukraine would have had those Polish Soviet-era fighter jets before Putin's War even started.

The Ukrainian government is far from perfect, but I will not disparage a nation whose citizens are willing to sacrifice their own lives to defend their independence against a larger, invading military.

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2023, 09:09:17 pm »
Wow.  What pure pro-Putin b.s.

This isn't "pro-Putin".  It's reality.

Had the West had real statesmen in charge as opposed to the lot of childlike, ideological lunatics, a negotiated settlement that split Ukraine in half might have been brokered. Time would have been bought for NATO to restore its spent arsenals and for Ukraine to reestablish sensible defensive perimeters around the core of that nation. And Mr. Putin just might have been overthrown for having failed to knock out the U.S.-backed government in Kyiv.

But that window has closed.

There are no Western/US statesmen because we instigated and promote this war.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2023, 09:47:42 pm »

Utter swill and hogwash.

Stating that we should have told Ukraine that it would have to give up half of its sovereign territory to the aggressor - Russia - is wholly pro-Putin.

And no, we did not instigate the Russian invasion - the Russians did.  WADR, only an idiot, or a pathetic Putin mouthpiece, would think otherwise.

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2023, 10:14:02 pm »
Utter swill and hogwash.

And no, we did not instigate the Russian invasion - the Russians did.  WADR, only an idiot, or a pathetic Putin mouthpiece, would think otherwise.

I am not a Putin mouthpiece.  And, you know this. 

You also know --- and this is what infuriates you ---- I am not a Biden mouthpiece, and will not be no matter how often or how hard you try to insult me into accepting this submission you embrace.

There are 1,000 years of history on The Borderland.  I suggest you fast forward and begin your unedited research in the 20th Century.  It's past time for you to stop hiding behind insults and begin educating yourself.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2023, 10:43:01 pm »

You also know --- and this is what infuriates you ---- I am not a Biden mouthpiece, and will not be no matter how often or how hard you try to insult me into accepting this submission you embrace.

There are 1,000 years of history on The Borderland.  I suggest you fast forward and begin your unedited research in the 20th Century.  It's past time for you to stop hiding behind insults and begin educating yourself.

Actually, yes, you are a Putin mouthpiece - that, or an unthinking tool being used by those who are.

Very simple question: Prior to Russia's invasion, did the U.S. have offensive troops stationed in Ukraine that were threatening Russia?  Alternatively, did the U.S. announce that it would be stationing offensive troops in Ukraine that would be used to threaten Russia?

The answer choices are "Yes" and "No".

Please answer.

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2023, 11:23:56 pm »
Actually, yes, you are a Putin mouthpiece -

Apparently,  my previous post confused you.  I suggest you add "Remedial English" as part of your desperately needed education.

Now, shoo......

« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 12:17:50 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2023, 07:59:43 am »
The war can end any time, if the Russians just go back to Russia.

It really is that simple.

What people are proposing is as if someone invades your home and you are having a bit of trouble kicking them out, you should give them the front room, and maybe the kitchen so they maybe quit fighting you.

Even if you did, they'd be back for more.

As unacceptable as you would find this "solution" in your own home, Ukrainians have found it for their nation.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2023, 09:36:41 am »

What people are proposing is as if someone invades your home and you are having a bit of trouble kicking them out, you should give them the front room, and maybe the kitchen so they maybe quit fighting you.

As unacceptable as you would find this "solution" in your own home, Ukrainians have found it for their nation.

It really is just that simple.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2023, 05:44:21 pm »

@Right_in_Virginia

Have you lost your freaking mind???????

WE,the west,instigated this war by convincing Pooty-Poot to invade Ukraine against his will?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2023, 05:47:35 pm »

There are 1,000 years of history on The Borderland.  I suggest you fast forward and begin your unedited research in the 20th Century.  It's past time for you to stop hiding behind insults and begin educating yourself.[/q

@Right_in_Virginia

I sincerely hope you were looking into a mirror as you typed this.

You ARE a "surrender monkey".

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2023, 05:57:49 pm »

No, it is not ------ and this is the point so many miss.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2023, 07:42:43 pm »
It really is just that simple.

There is no legitimate excuse - none - for Russia's invasion of Ukraine.  The claim that Russia was actually threatened by Ukraine or NATO is a lie, and I've yet to find a single person on that side of the debate -either here or at TOS, who is willing to defend that point when pressed.

Doesn't stop them from repeating it, though.

Offline BellyAche

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2023, 10:00:32 pm »
The below information might be used as a reason to say that the U.S. "instigated" the war. Putin reacted to this quickly in his comments. But the first impulses for Ukraine to join NATO began in 2005 from European countries as first a MAP (Membership Action Plan). Of course the U.S. would eventually involve itself. The Ukraine's membership in NATO was already in the wind. Putin chose to respond when the certainty was more immediate. Then he reacted like the classic cornered former KGB officer he is!

On 11 January 2022, it became known that a group of Republican congressmen intended to introduce a bill declaring Ukraine a NATO-plus country and initiating a review of the advisability of declaring Russia a state sponsor of terrorism. The authors of the bill argue that recognizing Ukraine as a "NATO+ country" will make it possible to quickly make decisions on the provision and sale of American defense goods and services to Ukraine. In particular, according to Mike Rogers, co-author of the bill, this rule concerns the provision of anti-ship and air defense systems. In addition, this bill proposes to create a mechanism for the rapid imposition of sanctions against Nord Stream 2 in the event of a full-scale Russian invasion of Ukraine. The authors of the bill are convinced that in this way they will forever block the commissioning of the pipeline. Also, if adopted, the United States is obliged to consider and vote on whether to grant Russia the status of a "country-sponsor of international terrorism."
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline berdie

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2023, 10:39:39 pm »

Perfect analogy. happy77  Whatever their nation may/may not be, the people are willing to fight for it.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2023, 10:51:56 pm »

The Ukrainian government is far from perfect, but I will not disparage a nation whose citizens are willing to sacrifice their own lives to defend their independence against a larger, invading military.

Ditto
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2023, 04:26:58 pm »
Apparently,  my previous post confused you.  I suggest you add "Remidial English" as part of your desperately needed education.

Now, shoo......
It's spelled remedial.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 04:43:57 pm by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline DB

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2023, 04:36:13 pm »
The below information might be used as a reason to say that the U.S. "instigated" the war. Putin reacted to this quickly in his comments. But the first impulses for Ukraine to join NATO began in 2005 from European countries as first a MAP (Membership Action Plan). Of course the U.S. would eventually involve itself. The Ukraine's membership in NATO was already in the wind. Putin chose to respond when the certainty was more immediate. Then he reacted like the classic cornered former KGB officer he is!

On 11 January 2022, it became known that a group of Republican congressmen intended to introduce a bill declaring Ukraine a NATO-plus country and initiating a review of the advisability of declaring Russia a state sponsor of terrorism. The authors of the bill argue that recognizing Ukraine as a "NATO+ country" will make it possible to quickly make decisions on the provision and sale of American defense goods and services to Ukraine. In particular, according to Mike Rogers, co-author of the bill, this rule concerns the provision of anti-ship and air defense systems. In addition, this bill proposes to create a mechanism for the rapid imposition of sanctions against Nord Stream 2 in the event of a full-scale Russian invasion of Ukraine. The authors of the bill are convinced that in this way they will forever block the commissioning of the pipeline. Also, if adopted, the United States is obliged to consider and vote on whether to grant Russia the status of a "country-sponsor of international terrorism."

Russia had already consumed part of Ukraine by that time. And the fact is it takes years to become a NATO member with a bunch of requirements that have to be met. The process hadn't even started. There was no imminent threat to Russia period. It is Russia's long history of invading it neighbors that have pushed neighboring countries to join the alliance seeking protection from the bully.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2023, 08:50:58 pm »
It's spelled remedial.

Thanks.  Appreciate you reading my posts @jmyrlefuller    888high58888

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2023, 08:54:30 pm »
Random thought:  What about giving/selling/leasing A-10 WartHog tank killers to Ukraine?

The A-10 WartHogs were designed during the Cold War for destroying tanks on the Eastern European steppe/plains.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2023, 11:58:15 pm »
Had the West had real statesmen in charge as opposed to the lot of childlike, ideological lunatics, a negotiated settlement that split Ukraine in half might have been brokered. Time would have been bought for NATO to restore its spent arsenals and for Ukraine to reestablish sensible defensive perimeters around the core of that nation.

That is either flat-out delusional, or a deliberate lie. There is no universe in which  a Ukraine that has lost half of its resources and population can be more easily defended.  It's just a guarantee that Russia would come back in a few years to finish the job by invading from Belarus, Moldova, and via air bridges over the Dnipro.

Anyone who advocated that is, by definition, pro-Russia.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 12:06:55 am by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2023, 12:58:35 am »
No, it is not ------ and this is the point so many miss.

@Right_in_Virginia

Yes,the war WILL stop if we are talking about the war between The Neo Soviet-Union and Ukraine.

I have no doubt it will continue inside the borders of Russia if Putin and his butt-buddies don't get the hell out of Russia ASAP,though. They will be marked men.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2023, 01:02:49 am »
Random thought:  What about giving/selling/leasing A-10 WartHog tank killers to Ukraine?

The A-10 WartHogs were designed during the Cold War for destroying tanks on the Eastern European steppe/plains.

@DefiantMassRINO

AND.....,they do an INCREDIBLE job at it,too,

If  you ever see one in action up close, you suddenly gain a true understanding of the word "Awe".