Author Topic: Marine dad’s ‘Periodic Table of Military Slang’ decodes grunt-speak  (Read 193 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Marine dad’s ‘Periodic Table of Military Slang’ decodes grunt-speak
By Hope Hodge Seck
 Friday, Jan 20

Marine dad and retired Navy civilian Russ Scholl's "Periodic Table of Military Slang" lays out and defines 321 of the military's most amusing and esoteric terms and phrases. (Russ Scholl)
What’s the difference between a PX ranger and a geardo? Is it better to be a hard-charger or an eight ball? Should you call your summer footwear “shower shoes” or “Jesus slippers?”

The military services all have their own languages, seemingly designed to confuse or embarrass new members and outsiders. But one military dad is on a mission to demystify the jargon ― and maybe spare a future private from heading out to retrieve a box of grid squares.

Marine dad and retired Navy civilian Russ Scholl’s “Periodic Table of Military Slang” lays out and defines 321 of the military’s most amusing and esoteric terms and phrases, arranging them neatly by service branch and historical era. Those who have spent time around the military will know at least some of the table’s entries; few are likely to recognize them all.

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2023/01/20/marine-dads-periodic-table-of-military-slang-decodes-grunt-speak/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline ironhorsedriver

Re: Marine dad’s ‘Periodic Table of Military Slang’ decodes grunt-speak
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2023, 10:48:25 am »
Would love to have one, but not for 90.00.