Author Topic: General Says NORAD Missed Previous Chinese Spy Balloon Incursions During the Trump Administration  (Read 2235 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
General Says NORAD Missed Previous Chinese Spy Balloon Incursions During the Trump Administration

Kristina Wong6 Feb 20232
4:15

Gen. Glen VanHerck, commander of North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) and Northern Command (NORTHCOM), admitted Monday that the joint U.S.-Canada organization missed previous incursions of Chinese spy balloons, including during the Trump administration.

When asked during a press briefing whether NORTHCOM was involved in tracking previous Chinese spy balloon that flew into the U.S. airspace during the Biden and Trump administrations, VanHerck responded:

So those balloons, so every day as a NORAD commander it’s my responsibility to detect threats to North America. I will tell you that we did not detect those threats. And that’s a domain awareness gap that we have to figure out. But I don’t want to go in further detail.

He indicated that the intelligence community tracked those previous balloons after the incursions through “additional means.”

“The intel community, after the fact — I believe has been briefed already — assess those threats to additional means of collection from additional means and made us aware of those balloons that were previously approaching North America or transited North America,” he said.

more
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2023/02/06/general-says-norad-missed-previous-chinese-spy-balloon-incursions-during-the-trump-administration/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Hey NORTHCOM/NORAD...you literally have ONE JOB to do!

JFC! **nononono*
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
And on top of it he didn't answer the original question.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

JFC! **nononono*

This is troubling to say the least....WTF is happening to our military!
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online Hoodat

Top general admits NORAD failed to detect earlier Chinese spy balloons in U.S. air space

John Solomon  |   Updated: February 6, 2023 - 7:49pm

The money quote:
In fact, VanHerck told reporters during a Pentagon briefing, the Trump administration wasn't told about the incursions because NORAD missed them and that they only recently were detected after the fact by U.S. intelligence agencies.

The best approach here would have been to keep your freakin' mouth shut.  But no.  Not only have you informed China that their balloon spy program has been a repeated success, you now have tipped them off that their own intelligence network has been compromised by US agents.

Idiots.  I cannot wait for these treasonous bastards to be shown the door.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

Considering the severity of woke ideological trending and directives,we may be seeing the same level of weaponization of the upper eschelons our military ranks as the FBI.  How else can ypu explain the likes of Gen. Miley being placed at that level.....

Just  contrast the standards of leadership between  Miley and Schwarzkopf  in such a shot time spread.  That can't be random.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Kamaji

JFC! **nononono*

:thumbsup:

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Top US commander defends delay in spy balloon shootdown
by Jamie McIntyre, Senior Writer |
February 07, 2023 09:06 AM

‘YOU’LL SEE’ … TIME FRAME WAS ‘WELL WORTH’ THE WAIT: The top general in charge of the joint U.S.-Canadian North American Aerospace Defense Command says when he first saw the Chinese spy balloon approaching Alaska’s Aleutian Islands, he “could not take immediate action,” because it appeared unarmed and “didn’t exhibit hostile intent.” As it passed into Canadian airspace, he had to check with the Canadian government. “I have a boss in Canada as well,” Air Force Gen. Glen VanHerck told reporters at a Pentagon briefing Monday.

“It was my assessment that this balloon did not present a physical military threat to North America, this is under my NORAD hat,” VanHerck said. Once the balloon crossed into Montana, one of five midwestern states that are home to Minuteman III missile fields, the U.S. military took “maximum protective measures,” while “multiple options [were] considered and asked for at multiple levels.”

In the end, “based on safety first, and then effectiveness and being able to take the balloon down within our sovereign airspace and territorial waters,” VanHerck said it was decided that valuable intelligence could be gleaned by tracking the balloon as it was blown across the United States by the jet stream.

“This gave us the opportunity to assess what they were actually doing, what kind of capabilities existed on the balloon, what kind of transmission capabilities existed,” VanHerk said. “I think you'll see in the future that that time frame was well worth its value.”

BY THE NUMBERS: VanHerck provided some rough estimates of the size of the Chinese balloon and the scale of the recovery effort roughly six miles off the coast of South Carolina in U.S. territorial waters.

Balloon size: 200 feet tall
    Payload weight: One ton, or more
    Payload dimensions: About the size of a small regional jetliner
    Search area: 10 miles square
    Ocean depth: About 50 feet
    Debris field: 15 football fields by 15 football fields (1,500 meters square)
    Ships involved in recovery effort: Five vessels, including an oceanographic survey ship, three Coast Guard cutters, and at least one unmanned underwater vehicle.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/defense-national-security/top-us-commander-defends-delay-in-spy-balloon-shootdown
Support the USO

Offline Kamaji

If it were any other administration, I would give this some credence; but as it is, I can only credit it as another self-serving lie.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 We are in deep shit with this guy in charge... pointing-down

Pentagon says it had an ‘awareness gap’ that led to failure to detect 3 Chinese balloons under Trump
Natasha Bertrand
By Natasha Bertrand and Haley Britzky, CNN
Updated 8:05 PM EST, Mon February 6, 2023

The American military had a “domain awareness gap” that allowed three other suspected Chinese spy balloons to transit the continental United States undetected under the Trump administration, the Pentagon general responsible for providing air and missile defense over North America said on Monday.

“Every day as a NORAD commander, it’s my responsibility to detect threats to North America. I will tell you that we did not detect those threats,” Gen. Glen VanHerck, commander of US Northern Command and North American Aerospace Defense Command said when asked about the three other balloons.

“And that’s a domain awareness gap that we have to figure out, but I don’t want to go into further detail.”

VanHerck added that the intelligence community after the fact was able to gather intelligence “from additional means that made us aware of those balloons that were previously approaching North America or transited North America.”

more
https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/06/politics/pentagon-balloon-monday/index.html
Support the USO

Offline Kamaji

We are in deep shit with this guy in charge... pointing-down

Pentagon says it had an ‘awareness gap’ that led to failure to detect 3 Chinese balloons under Trump
Natasha Bertrand
By Natasha Bertrand and Haley Britzky, CNN
Updated 8:05 PM EST, Mon February 6, 2023

The American military had a “domain awareness gap” that allowed three other suspected Chinese spy balloons to transit the continental United States undetected under the Trump administration, the Pentagon general responsible for providing air and missile defense over North America said on Monday.

“Every day as a NORAD commander, it’s my responsibility to detect threats to North America. I will tell you that we did not detect those threats,” Gen. Glen VanHerck, commander of US Northern Command and North American Aerospace Defense Command said when asked about the three other balloons.

“And that’s a domain awareness gap that we have to figure out, but I don’t want to go into further detail.”

VanHerck added that the intelligence community after the fact was able to gather intelligence “from additional means that made us aware of those balloons that were previously approaching North America or transited North America.”

more
https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/06/politics/pentagon-balloon-monday/index.html

How does one fail to detect a balloon that is as big as a small skyscraper, with a payload that, from some reports, could have been as large as a regional turboprop airplane?

Shouldn't the standard ATC radars be pinging off the payload alone?

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Just another reason we have no business going to war right now under hardly any circumstances. Especially in defense of Ukraine.

The quality of leadership in the Pentagaon is dismal. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

What parts of Distant Early Warning (DEW) elude them?
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline Idiot

Couldn't see the HUGE balloon and payload the size of 3 buses on radar?  Seriously?  If this is the case we are screwed.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Offline berdie

Couldn't see the HUGE balloon and payload the size of 3 buses on radar?  Seriously?  If this is the case we are screwed.

Well, they seem to be able to track Santa pretty well./s

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Sounds like he's covering for Milley's big mouth.
The Republic is lost.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
No, man no. They didn't miss anything. Milley bragged about being on the side of China in his book, if he could hurt Trump somehow. If it comes down to it (he said it), I will side with China over Trump.

Milley will retire in Beijing. He is a proud supporter of China and everything Chinese and everything China is doing worldwide. Milley is the very last guy anyone would put in charge of the American Military. Unless you WANT America to submit to Milley's Chinese bosses.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

Well, they seem to be able to track Santa pretty well./s
GMTA  :beer:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline verga

GMTA  :beer:
First thought  I had was about tracking Santa
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Darn it, y'all beat me to the Santa Claus joke.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Top general admits NORAD failed to detect earlier Chinese spy balloons in U.S. air space

John Solomon  |   Updated: February 6, 2023 - 7:49pm

The money quote:

The best approach here would have been to keep your freakin' mouth shut.  But no.  Not only have you informed China that their balloon spy program has been a repeated success, you now have tipped them off that their own intelligence network has been compromised by US agents.

Idiots.  I cannot wait for these treasonous bastards to be shown the door.

Right.  The whole attempt to deflect criticism with the "Trump did it too!" defense opened up a giant can of worms that should never have been opened.  We've now been forced to reveal publicly that those prior Chinese balloons went undetected, which is valuable intel for them.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Uhhhh,if they missed them,how do they know the balloons were ever there?

Is there no end to the left's attempts to demonize Trump?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@mystery-ak

Politics became more important than duty,as senior officers work hard to find highly-paid positions after they retire.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Considering the severity of woke ideological trending and directives,we may be seeing the same level of weaponization of the upper eschelons our military ranks as the FBI.  How else can ypu explain the likes of Gen. Miley being placed at that level.....

Just  contrast the standards of leadership between  Miley and Schwarzkopf  in such a shot time spread.  That can't be random.

@catfish1957

Remember the West Point graduation ceremony caught on video several years of several of the graduating pleebs taking their jackets off and revealing "Communist Party USA" T-shirts worn beneath them?