General Category > National/Breaking News

General Says NORAD Missed Previous Chinese Spy Balloon Incursions During the Trump Administration

<< < (2/8) > >>

catfish1957:

--- Quote from: mystery-ak on February 07, 2023, 02:02:12 am ---This is troubling to say the least....WTF is happening to our military!

--- End quote ---

Considering the severity of woke ideological trending and directives,we may be seeing the same level of weaponization of the upper eschelons our military ranks as the FBI.  How else can ypu explain the likes of Gen. Miley being placed at that level.....

Just  contrast the standards of leadership between  Miley and Schwarzkopf  in such a shot time spread.  That can't be random.

Kamaji:

--- Quote from: txradioguy on February 07, 2023, 01:45:32 am ---Hey NORTHCOM/NORAD...you literally have ONE JOB to do!

JFC! **nononono*

--- End quote ---

:thumbsup:

mystery-ak:
Top US commander defends delay in spy balloon shootdown
by Jamie McIntyre, Senior Writer |
February 07, 2023 09:06 AM

‘YOU’LL SEE’ … TIME FRAME WAS ‘WELL WORTH’ THE WAIT: The top general in charge of the joint U.S.-Canadian North American Aerospace Defense Command says when he first saw the Chinese spy balloon approaching Alaska’s Aleutian Islands, he “could not take immediate action,” because it appeared unarmed and “didn’t exhibit hostile intent.” As it passed into Canadian airspace, he had to check with the Canadian government. “I have a boss in Canada as well,” Air Force Gen. Glen VanHerck told reporters at a Pentagon briefing Monday.

“It was my assessment that this balloon did not present a physical military threat to North America, this is under my NORAD hat,” VanHerck said. Once the balloon crossed into Montana, one of five midwestern states that are home to Minuteman III missile fields, the U.S. military took “maximum protective measures,” while “multiple options [were] considered and asked for at multiple levels.”

In the end, “based on safety first, and then effectiveness and being able to take the balloon down within our sovereign airspace and territorial waters,” VanHerck said it was decided that valuable intelligence could be gleaned by tracking the balloon as it was blown across the United States by the jet stream.

“This gave us the opportunity to assess what they were actually doing, what kind of capabilities existed on the balloon, what kind of transmission capabilities existed,” VanHerk said. “I think you'll see in the future that that time frame was well worth its value.”

BY THE NUMBERS: VanHerck provided some rough estimates of the size of the Chinese balloon and the scale of the recovery effort roughly six miles off the coast of South Carolina in U.S. territorial waters.

Balloon size: 200 feet tall
    Payload weight: One ton, or more
    Payload dimensions: About the size of a small regional jetliner
    Search area: 10 miles square
    Ocean depth: About 50 feet
    Debris field: 15 football fields by 15 football fields (1,500 meters square)
    Ships involved in recovery effort: Five vessels, including an oceanographic survey ship, three Coast Guard cutters, and at least one unmanned underwater vehicle.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/defense-national-security/top-us-commander-defends-delay-in-spy-balloon-shootdown

Kamaji:
If it were any other administration, I would give this some credence; but as it is, I can only credit it as another self-serving lie.

mystery-ak:
 We are in deep shit with this guy in charge... pointing-down

Pentagon says it had an ‘awareness gap’ that led to failure to detect 3 Chinese balloons under Trump
Natasha Bertrand
By Natasha Bertrand and Haley Britzky, CNN
Updated 8:05 PM EST, Mon February 6, 2023

The American military had a “domain awareness gap” that allowed three other suspected Chinese spy balloons to transit the continental United States undetected under the Trump administration, the Pentagon general responsible for providing air and missile defense over North America said on Monday.

“Every day as a NORAD commander, it’s my responsibility to detect threats to North America. I will tell you that we did not detect those threats,” Gen. Glen VanHerck, commander of US Northern Command and North American Aerospace Defense Command said when asked about the three other balloons.

“And that’s a domain awareness gap that we have to figure out, but I don’t want to go into further detail.”

VanHerck added that the intelligence community after the fact was able to gather intelligence “from additional means that made us aware of those balloons that were previously approaching North America or transited North America.”

more
https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/06/politics/pentagon-balloon-monday/index.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version