Author Topic: The Navy's maintenance troubles are getting worse  (Read 108 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The Navy's maintenance troubles are getting worse
« on: February 06, 2023, 11:48:11 am »
The Navy's maintenance troubles are getting worse
Story by Nicholas Slayton • Yesterday 5:27 PM

The U.S. Navy’s ships are costing more to repair and spending less time in operation. Those are the findings in a new report from the Government Accountability Office. It found that total costs for operating and servicing 10 classes of ships rose by $2.5 billion over a decade, and hours at sea declined. That’s even as the overall number of ships grew in that 10-year period.

The biggest problems have been increased maintenance delays, coupled with a rise of parts shortages, forcing crews to cannibalize parts for repairs. The report — a public version of one created in December 2022 — studied the 2011-2021 fiscal years, and found that the total cost for operating the 151 vessels it looked at reached $17 billion in the 2020 fiscal year.

“Over time this situation has resulted in worsening ship conditions and increased costs to repair and sustain ships,” the report said.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/the-navy-s-maintenance-troubles-are-getting-worse/ar-AA178X6B?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=a1e2403bacd544b99f3c5d80740731e8
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: The Navy's maintenance troubles are getting worse
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2023, 11:49:56 am »
With all the excess flag officers running around, you would think everything would be A okay. :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson