Author Topic: MSNBC On 1619 Project Critics: 'The Criticism Is Not Legitimate'  (Read 320 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
MSNBC On 1619 Project Critics: 'The Criticism Is Not Legitimate'
« on: February 05, 2023, 11:39:59 am »
MSNBC On 1619 Project Critics: 'The Criticism Is Not Legitimate'
Alex Christy
February 4th, 2023 1:45 PM

Nikole Hannah-Jones joined MSNBC’s Ali Velshi on his Saturday show to discuss the criticism and banning of The 1619 Project. Naturally, Hannah-Jones simply dismissed “much of the criticism” as “not legitimate” as she continued to claim all she wants to do is teach the full story of American history.

On that criticism, Velshi asked, “I was asking you when you came out with The 1619 Project at the New York Times Magazine, I don't think you could've foreseen how much criticism you were going to get. Good or bad that it happened?”

Hannah-Jones saw both positives and negatives in the attention, “I mean, you know it's mixed. I think so much of the criticism is not legitimate critique, it's not coming from people who have engaged with the ideas of the project or the work. But at the same time, the more they talk about it just actually helps spread the message, right?”

https://newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/alex-christy/2023/02/04/msnbc-1619-project-critics-criticism-not-legitimate
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: MSNBC On 1619 Project Critics: 'The Criticism Is Not Legitimate'
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2023, 11:43:23 am »
Those first Africans must have really wanted to be slaves since they had to wait a year or so for the first pilgrims to arrive (Sept. 1620).  What did they do all that time, practice slave behavior?  And how did they know to wait at Plymouth Rock for their future masters? :silly:
« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 11:44:48 am by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2023, 11:54:51 am »
Bullshit.  The 1619 project is nothing more and nothing less than a big lie.  It is not even historically-based, it’s simply a lie concocted for ulterior political purposes. 

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2023, 11:34:34 pm »
Kamaji:
"The 1619 project is nothing more and nothing less than a big lie.  It is not even historically-based, it’s simply a lie concocted for ulterior political purposes."

Takin' "history" and turnin' it into "Kwanza"...

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2023, 01:53:44 am »
So according to MSNBC, pointing out false historical statements is "not legitimate".

First, there were no enslaved Africans in the English colonies until 1654.  The Africans who arrived in Virginia had been enslaved by either the Spanish or the Portuguese, but upon arrival in Virginia as privateer booty, ceased to be property and were treated as indentured servants with a standard indenture term of seven year, because that was all that existed under English law prevailing at the time.

It was only in 1654 when an Angolan, John Casor, claimed to be the indentured servant of another Angolan, Anthony Johnson, who claimed to the contrary that Casor was his chattel, and sought relief from a Virginia court, which found for Johnson, that chattel slavery was introduced to what became the original United States.  (Notice that the institution itself was an import from Africa.)

Second, the claim that American independence was fomented by slaveholders fearful of British abolitionism is a complete historical absurdity:  abolitionism in Britain only became politically influential in the early 19th century, and the calls for independence were loudest in Massachusetts, which had been gradually dismantling slavery by applying British case law, and which completely abolished the practice in the period between American independence and the adoption of the Constitution.

And that's just the colonial period...
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 01:54:55 am by The_Reader_David »
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.