Author Topic: House GOP Erases ‘Environmental Justice’ From Committee Docs; Dems Freak  (Read 155 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
WRITTEN BY NICO PORTUONDO ON FEB 3, 2023. POSTED IN LATEST NEWS

House GOP Erases ‘Environmental Justice’ From Committee Docs; Dems Freak

cathy mcmorris rodgersThe phrase “environmental justice” — which Democrats use to describe the remedy to the outsize exposure of poor and marginalized communities to harm from hazardous waste, resource extraction, and extreme weather — is missing from new House Energy and Commerce Committee documents.

During an organizational hearing this week, Rep. Nanette Díaz Barragán (D-Calif.) noticed the term wasn’t referenced in materials outlining subcommittee jurisdictional boundaries.

“My understanding is that the jurisdiction of environmental justice has been stricken from the jurisdiction of the subcommittees,” said Barragán. “It’s something our committee should absolutely oversee, how communities of color and low-income communities are disproportionately impacted.”

https://climatechangedispatch.com/house-gop-erases-environmental-justice-from-committee-docs-dems-freak/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson