Author Topic: Encore: Why some Democrats are on board with busing migrants away from border states  (Read 165 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Encore: Why some Democrats are on board with busing migrants away from border states
February 3, 20236:13 PM ET
Heard on All Things Considered
LAURA BENSHOFF

Republican governors started transporting migrants from the U.S. southern border, but Democrats are now adopting the move. They say it's a humanitarian service, not a political statement.

SCOTT DETROW, HOST:

When Texas and Arizona's Republican governors began busing immigrants out of their states last year, they said it was in protest of Democrats' federal immigration policies. At the time, some Democrats railed against the practice, especially when migrants were misled about where they were going. Now, NPR's Laura Benshoff reports on why some Democrats have now also adopted busing too.

LAURA BENSHOFF, BYLINE: It's cold, dark and very early when buses from the southern border pull up in Philadelphia. It's one of the cities led by Democrats where Texas Governor Greg Abbott has been dropping off immigrants.

UNIDENTIFIED PERSON: (Speaking Spanish).

BENSHOFF: City and nonprofit staff greet the passengers. Some shuffle on to a waiting city bus, where there are blankets and hot coffee. A woman named Selena (ph) is not done traveling yet, though she already had a very long ride.

SELENA: (Speaking Spanish).

BENSHOFF: NPR has agreed not to use her full name because her immigration case is pending. She's Dominican, but had been living in Chile.

https://www.npr.org/2023/02/03/1154359629/encore-why-some-democrats-are-on-board-with-busing-migrants-away-from-border-sta
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson