Author Topic: Youngkin joins antiabortion march in a state unchanged by Roe’s demise  (Read 354 times)

Online Right_in_Virginia

Youngkin joins antiabortion march in a state unchanged by Roe’s demise
The Washington Post, Feb 7, 2023

RICHMOND — Gov. Glenn Youngkin joined hundreds of antiabortion activists outside the state Capitol on Wednesday for the Virginia March for Life, an annual event playing out for the first time since the Supreme Court ruled that abortion rights were up to individual states to decide.

“I’m just always encouraged when I see Virginians coming together in an extraordinary way to stand up for life,” the Republican told reporters before the marchers stepped off. “And this is a great statement by a lot of people — young people, older people, folks from all walks of life — to demonstrate the fact that we stand to protect life.”

Many in the crowd were thrilled with the high court’s ruling in June to overturn the fundamental right to abortion established five decades ago in Roe v. Wade. A number of young women carried signs reading, “I am the post-Roe generation.”

But Youngkin and others acknowledged that Roe’s demise has no immediate prospect of changing abortion access in Virginia. Youngkin’s plan to ban abortion after 15 weeks, with exceptions for rape, incest and to protect the life of the mother, has gone nowhere in a divided state Capitol.

More:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2023/02/01/virginia-abortion-youngkin-roe-march/