Author Topic: The Pentagon must make a culture shift to embrace innovation  (Read 84 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The Pentagon must make a culture shift to embrace innovation
« on: February 03, 2023, 04:33:48 pm »
The Pentagon must make a culture shift to embrace innovation
By Mac Thornberry
 Feb 2, 10:29 AM

People are the bedrock of our nation’s military and create the culture that is foundational for innovation. But thus far, our Department of Defense is falling short of building an organization where people are encouraged to lead, make mistakes as they learn, challenge outdated thinking and pursue new creative initiatives.

That sort of culture is essential to success on the battlefield. And a culture of innovation is fundamental to acquiring, adopting and scaling new technologies that will give our men and women in uniform the advantage they deserve over our competitors.

Beginning in 2015, the House and Senate Armed Services committees made acquisition reform the highest priority. Many new provisions were passed into law to help get the best technology our nation can produce into the hands of the warfighter as soon as possible. While there are pockets in DOD using some of those authorities to drive modernization, there are still pervasive cultural barriers inhibiting the agility and private-public sector collaboration we need.

https://www.defensenews.com/opinion/commentary/2023/02/02/the-pentagon-hasnt-made-the-culture-shift-key-to-embracing-innovation/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Re: The Pentagon must make a culture shift to embrace innovation
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2023, 05:18:20 pm »
In the past, innovations were products of "skunk works" which were free from the day-to-day chain of command.

Day-to-day chains of command are mostly interested in TPS reports, not innovation, discovery, nor achievement.

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.