Author Topic: What are you watching now?...2023  (Read 38706 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: What are you watching now?...2023
« Reply #250 on: December 04, 2023, 03:00:42 am »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #251 on: December 04, 2023, 03:05:25 am »
@goatprairie

And despite the battle conquests, it's a love story.

@DCPatriot

Uhhhh........
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Hoodat

« Reply #252 on: December 04, 2023, 03:19:23 am »
Did finally get to see Ridley Scott's NAPOLEON this afternoon.

That's 3 hours of my life I'll never get back.

The earlier version was much better.

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #253 on: December 04, 2023, 03:33:09 am »
The earlier version was much better.

He went on to guest star on a few "Studio C" comedy shows... I mentioned the show (Studio C) a few weeks ago as a SNL improv-like show (except funny and clean since it was BYU production). Some of the member went on to form their own comedy group.

https://www.youtube.com/@JKStudiosOfficial/videos

Some hit perfectly my funny bone, some totally miss the mark (thus is life).
« Last Edit: December 04, 2023, 03:56:21 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Online DCPatriot

« Last Edit: December 04, 2023, 03:37:48 am by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #255 on: December 04, 2023, 05:28:35 am »
I went to see Godzilla Minus One tonight at the theater. It was really good... not just a good Godzilla movie, but a real good movie. It's in Japanese with English subtitles, but the dialog is easy to follow. I recommend it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvSrHIX5a-0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPIKfDGmNaM
Let it burn.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #256 on: December 04, 2023, 10:58:09 pm »
@goatprairie

I'm being unfair. 

Was sitting in the 1st row...at the end.
Despite being in a leather recliner, it was not a good perspective
The Dolby sounds of the canon battles shook the theater

It was just too long winded for my taste.
And despite the battle conquests, it's a love story.
"And despite the battle conquests, it's a love story."

That's the problem with a lot of Hollyweird flicks. They've just got to put the love angle thing in the plot that frequently overwhelms everything else.
That was my criticism of Warren Beatty's "Reds." It was supposedly about the Russian Revolution which you would think would be at least semi-interesting. But Beatty turned it into a love story between Beatty's character, John Reed, and Diane Keaton.
The final result was as dull as dishwater.

Online berdie

« Reply #257 on: December 04, 2023, 11:08:03 pm »
"And despite the battle conquests, it's a love story."

That's the problem with a lot of Hollyweird flicks. They've just got to put the love angle thing in the plot that frequently overwhelms everything else.
That was my criticism of Warren Beatty's "Reds." It was supposedly about the Russian Revolution which you would think would be at least semi-interesting. But Beatty turned it into a love story between Beatty's character, John Reed, and Diane Keaton.
The final result was as dull as dishwater.

I feel that way about the Titanic. They should have called it Jack and Rose, a Love Story. But the special effects were good

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #258 on: December 05, 2023, 01:46:50 am »

I feel that way about the Titanic. They should have called it Jack and Rose, a Love Story. But the special effects were good
I understand the idea of the love angle in all movies. That's the only way to draw females. Females were a huge audience for the movie.
So, it's a choice between making a lot of money (of course Titanic made scads of dough) or having a flick that's more geared towards males who, as a general rule, don't give a rip about the love angle.
Males want to see action, suspense, heroics. The love thing is far down the list.
I mean, who would want to watch one of Clint's spaghetti westerns if they made it about The Man With No Name who loved The Woman With No Name? I would guess that a lot more men than women like to watch Clint's westerns. That would include males like yours truly.

BTW, I never did watch "When Harry Met Sally" or "Sleepless In Seattle."
I have little or no inclination to watch chick flicks. Mostly no inclination.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #259 on: December 06, 2023, 05:46:55 am »
I am watching "Better Call Saul" again. Watched it years ago,and happened to spot it while surfing shows on my movie and tv channels. I just couldn't resist.

Probably  going to end up watching "Breaking Bad" again when I finish this.

UPDATE!

Carol Burnette has a leading role in  several of the last seasons episodes. I had no idea she  was still alive,and was happy to see her.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2023, 08:00:42 pm by sneakypete »

Online Sighlass

« Reply #260 on: December 06, 2023, 07:30:10 am »
I understand the idea of the love angle in all movies. That's the only way to draw females. Females were a huge audience for the movie.
So, it's a choice between making a lot of money (of course Titanic made scads of dough) or having a flick that's more geared towards males who, as a general rule, don't give a rip about the love angle.
Males want to see action, suspense, heroics. The love thing is far down the list.
I mean, who would want to watch one of Clint's spaghetti westerns if they made it about The Man With No Name who loved The Woman With No Name? I would guess that a lot more men than women like to watch Clint's westerns. That would include males like yours truly.

BTW, I never did watch "When Harry Met Sally" or "Sleepless In Seattle."
I have little or no inclination to watch chick flicks. Mostly no inclination.

It is a fine line... I just watched a film that tried to thread the needle with romance and war.... It worked for me, but I imagine would a hard sell for others.... It does have a nice IMDB rating.... but was long and complicated to keep up with (but I managed). I loved it, added it to my movie list (now nearing 250 movies)... 8.5/10 rating

A Very Long Engagement... 2004 (Period Piece movie set in WW1 France). Romance, War, and Mystery. Subtitles ran a little too fast at times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HJXPvM1y2E

Then I watched a comedy with a few unknown actresses that I have loved for their comedic timing and quirkiness. A movie set in Covid times that was interesting in how they dealt with the madness of times... I laughed out loud a good dozen times... loved it as well...

Stop and Go .... 2022 (unfortunately the trailer makes the movie look silly, it is witty with some great humor that has to be experienced in full to grasp). 9/10 rating

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FFI3SfOo3E

« Last Edit: December 06, 2023, 07:55:20 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Online berdie

« Reply #261 on: December 06, 2023, 09:11:28 pm »
I am watching "Better Call Saul" again. Watched it years ago,and happened to spot it while surfing shows on my movie and tv channels. I just couldn't resist.

Probably  going to end up watching "Breaking Bad" again when I finish this.

I plan on watching BB again when I see it on my channel line up. I haven't seen Better Call Saul sequentially broadcast, but I'm waiting. And yes, all I have is basic Dish. So it will take some time. But I'm patient.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #262 on: December 06, 2023, 10:11:51 pm »

I plan on watching BB again when I see it on my channel line up. I haven't seen Better Call Saul sequentially broadcast, but I'm waiting. And yes, all I have is basic Dish. So it will take some time. But I'm patient.

@berdie

I just switched  over to Cricket Wi-Fi after Verizon went all to hell after they supposedly split into two different companies and then started hiring all Chinese tech  help. This was made worse by you never knew who to call if you were having problems. SUPPOSEDLY,Verizon was just supposed to sell phones and the off-sprung company was going to handle the internet,but it didn't seem to work that way.

Plus,I am now getting a more reliable signal from the Cricket Wi-Fi,and saving about 40 bucks a month in  the  bargain. Of course,this is only about "Day 5" with Cricket,but the hookup sure went smooth  and I haven't had an instant of trouble.

I also have access to all the Breaking Bad episodes. If you  haven't seen that one,you owe it  to yourself to watch it.

STILL owe Verizon a ton of money on the cell phone I bought from them about 4 months ago. Even after I told them I was going to continue to pay for the damn thing (I am using it with Cricket and using the same phone number I have always had), they still seemed to have an attitude about my leaving them.

This really breaks my heart,and I am contemplating  suicide over it. (/S)

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #263 on: December 09, 2023, 12:21:08 am »
I watched The Shift last night at the theater. I really enjoyed it quite a lot, and even found it inspirational. I recommend it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl7rtMiOrvY
Let it burn.

Online Sighlass

« Reply #264 on: December 09, 2023, 05:21:56 am »
I watched the new Daily Wire movie "Lady Ballers" ... Nutshell a movie about the absurdity of transgenders in women's sport... It had it's moments but was a little childish and crass at times. I liked the Matt Walsh scenes for the most part (no he is not the world's best actor), but he kinda played himself in that his own characteristics shined through the part. There was tons of conservative walk on parts, even Ted Cruz makes an appearance.

I will give it a thumbs up because they do rip into the woke culture. It wasn't pretty, and dragged here and there, but for a political nut, it kept me interested. 6/10 rating, keep working at it Daily Wire, refine your art. Studio C (see previous movie suggestions) could of pulled this off a whole lot better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py2MzGtmaJ0

Also the movie didn't address anything Trump did to kiss Transexual butt... (examples: Allowing first Trans beauty contestant, kissing Bruce Jenner's butt, praising pro-Trans answers in his pagent)... Because Daily Wire is Trump aligned for the most part.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2023, 06:38:31 pm by Sighlass »

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #265 on: December 09, 2023, 10:54:21 pm »
This weekend:
"Night Crossing", 1982 film...

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #266 on: December 09, 2023, 11:42:48 pm »
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Online Sighlass

« Reply #267 on: December 09, 2023, 11:53:04 pm »
This weekend:
"Night Crossing", 1982 film...

@Fishrrman One of the better Disney movies. I have it on my list of good movies.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #268 on: December 14, 2023, 11:41:15 pm »
I found the old Dragnets online. Not the ones I grew up with with Jack Webb and Henry Morgan- these are from 1951-53.

I can't believe some of the old actors in it before they were famous. I have seen Carolyn Jones (the original Morticia Addams) Aaron Spelling and a very very young Leonard Nimoy.

I am really enjoying these.

G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #269 on: December 16, 2023, 01:01:31 am »
I found the old Dragnets online. Not the ones I grew up with with Jack Webb and Henry Morgan- these are from 1951-53.

I can't believe some of the old actors in it before they were famous. I have seen Carolyn Jones (the original Morticia Addams) Aaron Spelling and a very very young Leonard Nimoy.

I am really enjoying these.
Yeah, I binge watched as many of them as I could a year of so ago. Unfortunately, there seems to be a limited amount of those shows available to watch.
From 1951 to 1959 they filmed 276 episodes. But less than ten percent of the shows are available to view.
Nevertheless, the ones I watched were enjoyable. Jack Webb's dialogues with other characters on the show were always enjoyable and much parodied. Webb made sure that his character, Joe Friday, always got in the last word.
But even Webb wasn't above making fun of his character as he did with a sketch with Johnny Carson on Carson's show one time.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #270 on: December 16, 2023, 03:50:39 am »
Finally got the opportunity to see The Painted Bird - Czech movie based on the novel by Jerzy Kosiński.  Very well done adaptation of an equally horrible story.  A must see for Kosiński fans.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #271 on: December 16, 2023, 01:35:28 pm »
Better Call Saul.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #272 on: December 16, 2023, 06:33:14 pm »
THE GOLDEN HOUR on Netflix.

6 kick-ass 45-min episodes about an Amsterdam detective
with Afghan roots finds himself investigating a horrible
attack in which his childhood friend may be involved.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #273 on: December 16, 2023, 10:35:08 pm »
This weekend:
"The Prisoner", a 1955 anti-commie film starring Alec Guinness...

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #274 on: December 16, 2023, 11:14:53 pm »
Finally got the opportunity to see The Painted Bird - Czech movie based on the novel by Jerzy Kosiński.  Very well done adaptation of an equally horrible story.  A must see for Kosiński fans.

Too depressing to watch or read right now. I did like the movie they made from one of his books- it starred Peter Sellers and I think Shirley MacLane? Can't think of the title off the top of my head but it was good. Of course anything with Peter Sellers was good?

@Hoodat

I just recalled the title. Being There?
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️