Author Topic: What are you watching now?...2023  (Read 37657 times)

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
Re: What are you watching now?...2023
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2023, 03:04:33 am »
Tonight:
"Damnation Alley", old post-nuclear war film with Jan Michael Vincent...

Based on a story written by my favorite author, Roger Zelazny.

The movie had little in common with the original novel.
Let it burn.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2023, 04:54:32 am »
Netflix has another Brit gem that I have gotten some good laughs on too.  Called Cunk on Earth.  Though more profane, and non-PC, this mockumentary by BBC is worth the price of admissions just watching the "scientifc expert"'s expressions being questioned  in what they think are serious inerviews.  It's pretty danged funny.

Has kind of a Borat kind of feel to it,  so might be a little over the top for your tastes, but maybe worth a try.

I am finding American general TV becoming increasingly and exceedingly woke.  Hardly anything made here anymore is worth watching.

Started this this afternoon

It’s quite good. Thank you @catfish1957
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2023, 06:44:57 am »
Thanks @catfish1957

I like a good Britcom

Binged the entire Season 2 of Clarkson's Farm.  Fantastic.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline verga

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2023, 12:59:54 pm »
Try "Pepsi, where's my jet." on NF. It is a wild story worth knowing.
We enjoyed it as well.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2023, 08:34:17 am »
I watched a 3 hour movie called Joseph 1995 .... Story of Joseph from the Bible... For the most part, a Christian movie worth watching is few and far between (for me anyways)... this was an exception to the rule... Great film, Biblically sound, good acting.... I was impressed... ending was heartwarming. Soundtrack didn't excite me, neither here or there...

Rating 8.5/10

Can be watched on Youtube for free...

https://youtu.be/t59UrSwXmiM
« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 08:37:28 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline verga

« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2023, 03:07:39 pm »
Watched first two episodes of "Poker face". Interesting concept.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2023, 02:01:23 am »
One of the best things my wife and I have watched in the last year is “Clarkson’s Farm” and “Clarkson’s farm2”.
This features Top Gear head guy and and bad boy Jeremy Clarkson who decided to buy an English farm near Chipping-Norton, England and see what he could do as a novice farmer.
He calls his farm Diddly Squat Farm an indication of how much he knew about farming. Which was next to nothing.
So his first season sees him take on a series of farming jobs that include animals and crops making a botch of both but proceeding with enthusiasm into all his misadventures.
He relies on a young real farmer named Kaleb Cooper who seems to know everything there is to know about farming including animals, crops, and equipment.
One of the funniest features of both seasons is Kaleb constantly upbraiding Clarkson for his ignorance and flubs.
Nevertheless, they work well together making a go of the farm. There is friction between the local council who seem mostly composed of a bunch of would be Stalins who disapprove of almost everything Clarkson wants to do,
The series is narrated by Clarkson who doesn’t spare himself in criticism. The language gets a little salty too.
The wife and I can’t wait for season three.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2023, 02:35:09 am »
Watched first two episodes of "Poker face". Interesting concept.

Is it good? Critics are comparing it to “Columbo” and that is my favorite mystery show of all time
@verga

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2023, 02:37:41 am »
Finished up Person of Interest.
The Republic is lost.

Offline verga

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2023, 10:50:54 am »
Is it good? Critics are comparing it to “Columbo” and that is my favorite mystery show of all time
@verga
It is a "How catchem" like Columbo, and she does drive a dilapidated car, but that is where the similarities end.
She is traveling, being pursued by a hired gun because of her first "case".

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2023, 06:05:28 pm »
Started “Hello Tomorrow” on Apple TV

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2023, 11:00:14 pm »
@verga
Not bad…and not as pc as you might be led to believe. The premise is based on the lead character who has a built in sense when somebody is lying. She gets in trouble in Las Vegas because of her gift, and has to take it on the lam.
So the premise is a little wacky, but the storylines aren’t too bad.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2023, 11:18:17 pm »
Based on a story written by my favorite author, Roger Zelazny.

The movie had little in common with the original novel.

Love Zelazny.  He's second only to Jack Vance as my favorite old-time SF author.  Lord of Light was a phenomenal book.   Probably couldn't make that one into a movie, though, without tens of thousands dying in riots in India.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2023, 05:03:17 pm »
I just started watching a documentary on Netflix about Alex Murdoch.

Offline MajorClay

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2023, 05:50:49 pm »
I've been watching the Chosen

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2023, 04:29:21 am »
Love Zelazny.  He's second only to Jack Vance as my favorite old-time SF author.  Lord of Light was a phenomenal book.   Probably couldn't make that one into a movie, though, without tens of thousands dying in riots in India.

Indeed, Lord of Light was my favorite novel, I have read it too many times to count.

They actually did try to make it into a film, but it never got past the planning stages due to legal complications.  However, the script and concept art (created by comic book artist Jack Kirby) were re-purposed by the CIA as the fake movie "Argo", used as cover to extricate US diplomats from Iran during the hostage crisis. Details in Wikipedia here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_of_Light#Film_version.
Let it burn.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2023, 02:13:10 pm »

Zelazny is awesome.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2023, 05:08:04 pm »
Indeed, Lord of Light was my favorite novel, I have read it too many times to count.

They actually did try to make it into a film, but it never got past the planning stages due to legal complications.  However, the script and concept art (created by comic book artist Jack Kirby) were re-purposed by the CIA as the fake movie "Argo", used as cover to extricate US diplomats from Iran during the hostage crisis. Details in Wikipedia here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_of_Light#Film_version.

I forgot about that!  Good movie, too.

There is one quote from Lord of Light that has always struck with me. It went something like this:
An army, great in space, may offer opposition in a brief span of time. One man, brief in space, must spread his opposition across a period of many years if he is to have a chance of succeeding.

That always struck me as a brilliant exposition on the concept of playing the long game.  It's part of what the left has done to be so successful. There were comparatively few of them, but using "The Long March through the institutions", They have ended up greatly expanding their power and are now "winning".

On the flip side, that also means opposition to the left must keep that same principle in mind.  Just because we can't turn things around immediately does not mean we can't use their same tactics and build up effective opposition over time.

In other words, you must have both brains and patience when the numbers aren't on your side.

Offline Sighlass

« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2023, 09:37:21 pm »
Watched the latest Tom Hanks movie where he plays a old gizzer who has become a bitter Karen. Actually the first half of the movie was decent (little slow)... then it went woke and more woke and I skipped to the end... Rating for the first half of the movie... 6 1/2 stars (out of 10)... rating for the last half of the movie 3 out of 10 stars.

EDIT:
Also want to apologize for not naming the Tom Hanks movie I mentioned above. It wasn't good, but I should of named it,  anyhoo it was called "A Man Called Otto"...
« Last Edit: March 05, 2023, 08:47:58 pm by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Sighlass

« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2023, 08:42:40 pm »
Watched a 70s Brit Comedy (Period Piece now) called "The Darling Buds of May".... It was recently mucked up with a remake a few years ago that I suggest you avoid called "The Lumpkins"... I think it was from the book called "The Lumpkins"... Kinda an intelligent British Hillbillies show, that I liked...  I have linked the first viewing for ya below to watch for free... you can fish around and find the others in the sidebar at the site if you look. Rating from me of 7.5/10 (pretty good for me)

https://ok.ru/video/4557460277794

Trailer on Youtube.... below

https://youtu.be/iiYplxIMHSE

Also saw that full episodes were on Youtube if you don't like OK(dot)Ru

« Last Edit: March 05, 2023, 08:51:20 pm by Sighlass »

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2023, 09:26:27 pm »
I forgot about that!  Good movie, too.

There is one quote from Lord of Light that has always struck with me. It went something like this:
That always struck me as a brilliant exposition on the concept of playing the long game.  It's part of what the left has done to be so successful. There were comparatively few of them, but using "The Long March through the institutions", They have ended up greatly expanding their power and are now "winning".

On the flip side, that also means opposition to the left must keep that same principle in mind.  Just because we can't turn things around immediately does not mean we can't use their same tactics and build up effective opposition over time.

In other words, you must have both brains and patience when the numbers aren't on your side.

:thumbsup:

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2023, 01:22:56 pm »
Top Chef just started a new season this week.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2023, 09:47:04 pm »
Just watched LUTHER: Fallen Sun on NETFLIX, starring Idris Elba.

A long awaited sequel to the LUTHER series, it disappoints.

Felt like they rubbed something sick and twisted into my face.  Silence of the Lambs is Mary Poppins by comparison.

Surprised if Elba would be involved with this crew ever again.  :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGK5qtXuc1Q
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2023, 08:03:14 pm »
Watched the latest Tom Hanks movie where he plays a old gizzer who has become a bitter Karen. Actually the first half of the movie was decent (little slow)... then it went woke and more woke and I skipped to the end... Rating for the first half of the movie... 6 1/2 stars (out of 10)... rating for the last half of the movie 3 out of 10 stars.

EDIT:
Also want to apologize for not naming the Tom Hanks movie I mentioned above. It wasn't good, but I should of named it,  anyhoo it was called "A Man Called Otto"...
I suppose this is another conservative-old-hater-comes-to-his-senses-after-careful-tutoring-by-woke-co-stars movie?

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2023, 10:01:08 pm »
Tonight, "The Enchanted Cottage" from 1945 -- seems to me someone in the forum suggested it a little while back...