Author Topic: What are you watching now?...2023  (Read 39018 times)

Offline goatprairie

Re: What are you watching now?...2023
« Reply #225 on: November 07, 2023, 12:49:30 am »
@GtHawk

Great series.
I saw the original Foyle's War from about twenty years ago.
The problem with all BBC productions today is that they demand a quota of non-whites i.e. blacks on all their shows. That means if you're watching some BBC series about life in a small English or Scottish town in the middle of nowhere, there will be a requisite number of black residents.
In the past twenty years I've been through numerous small English and Scottish towns and never saw one black person. Even in London I didn't see that many. Didn't go through Brixton.
The difference was pretty notable in one of my favorite mystery shows "Midsomer Murders." Set in an out of the way part of England, the early series with John Nettles saw few black performers. Because there just aren't that many black people outside of the large cities in England and Scotland.
The recent series with Neil Dudgeon have numerous blacks and other non-whites as main characters.
 The BBC is also pushing a pro-homosexual agenda. Tough to watch.
So, it's difficult to watch a modern BBC produced program even if the plot looks good.  The BBC is pushing a woke agenda. Just not believable.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #226 on: November 27, 2023, 07:31:48 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIsfMO5Jd_w

NAPOLEAN - Joaquin Phoenix, directed by Ridley Scott (80 yrs)

The reviews have not been kind...too dark, etc..

But the battle scenes are compelling by themselves.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #227 on: November 27, 2023, 07:32:48 pm »

let me know how it is. I am planning on seeing it later this week .
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #228 on: November 27, 2023, 08:00:57 pm »
It's Holiday Baking Championship season! 
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #229 on: November 27, 2023, 10:23:58 pm »

We plan to see it. I don’t think the reviewers liked Joaquin’s version of the Joker either. I thought he was brilliant.
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #230 on: November 28, 2023, 02:04:28 am »

Surprised it was panned.  Scott's last Napoleonic timed piece of that era, was "Master and Commander", which was universally praised.   And for me to this day, one of my favorite movies of all time
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #231 on: November 28, 2023, 02:29:09 am »
Surprised it was panned.  Scott's last Napoleonic timed piece of that era, was "Master and Commander", which was universally praised.   And for me to this day, one of my favorite movies of all time

Agreed!   :beer:   
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #232 on: November 28, 2023, 07:06:39 am »
Agreed!   :beer:
:yowsa: :beer: Always choose the lesser of two weevils!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2023, 07:07:30 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #233 on: December 02, 2023, 09:30:53 pm »
I'm currently watching THE SILENCING on Netflix.

Swear I'm looking at Aaron Eckhart and Bo Derek as star/co-star, but they're Doppelgangers.

Five years after his daughter's disappearance a local sheriff calls on him to help her find a killer of a recently found teenager

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw99Ni-8K-k

« Last Edit: December 02, 2023, 09:32:29 pm by DCPatriot »

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #234 on: December 02, 2023, 10:09:31 pm »
Still watching Mission Impossible reruns from the 60s/70s. It is a real blast. It is a time warp. Cigarettes are everywhere of course. They do the gauze camera trick once in a while when filming a woman. Put gauze over the lens and it 'softens' the picture to make women more beautiful. Once in a while you can see the women wearing those conical (Madonna like) bras which were popular in the 40s/50s.

It is amazing how much crossover there is in Star Trek and M.I. Shatner, Nimoy, Takei, among others all starred in episodes M.I.

As a child the "karate chop" was a big thing. All the kids were doing the 'karate chop'. I always assumed it came from some Kung-Fu movie but no. It came from M.I. On Mission Impossible the karate chop works the same as the Vulcan neck pinch did in Trek. They go up to any unimportant guard or something and with one karate chop to the neck the guy is immediately out like a light bulb for hours. Then in the next scene they get into a batman fight where they pummel each other with boards and crowbars for five minutes and no one gets knocked out.

Funny stuff. That's just the way TV worked back then. It's fun to go back in time once in a while.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #235 on: December 02, 2023, 11:00:02 pm »
Still watching Mission Impossible reruns from the 60s/70s. It is a real blast. It is a time warp. Cigarettes are everywhere of course. They do the gauze camera trick once in a while when filming a woman. Put gauze over the lens and it 'softens' the picture to make women more beautiful. Once in a while you can see the women wearing those conical (Madonna like) bras which were popular in the 40s/50s.

It is amazing how much crossover there is in Star Trek and M.I. Shatner, Nimoy, Takei, among others all starred in episodes M.I.

As a child the "karate chop" was a big thing. All the kids were doing the 'karate chop'. I always assumed it came from some Kung-Fu movie but no. It came from M.I. On Mission Impossible the karate chop works the same as the Vulcan neck pinch did in Trek. They go up to any unimportant guard or something and with one karate chop to the neck the guy is immediately out like a light bulb for hours. Then in the next scene they get into a batman fight where they pummel each other with boards and crowbars for five minutes and no one gets knocked out.

Funny stuff. That's just the way TV worked back then. It's fun to go back in time once in a while.

@240B

Didn't know that about some of the original Star Trek cast. I know I saw them on the original Twilight Zone= Shatner, Nimoy, and George Takai. And Leonard Nimoy and William Shatner did Columbo as well .

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #236 on: December 02, 2023, 11:15:13 pm »
This weekend:
"First They Killed My Father - A Daughter of Cambodia Remembers" from 2017...

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #237 on: December 02, 2023, 11:44:53 pm »
William Shatner Nightmare At 20000 Feet GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY
William Shatner - Nightmare At 20000 Feet - 1960
This episode made Shatner famous
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #238 on: December 03, 2023, 02:14:47 am »
@240B

Didn't know that about some of the original Star Trek cast. I know I saw them on the original Twilight Zone= Shatner, Nimoy, and George Takai. And Leonard Nimoy and William Shatner did Columbo as well .
Both Nimoy and Deforest Kelly were in the same episode of "The Virginian" before they were on Star Trek. Virtually worthless little factoid.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #239 on: December 03, 2023, 05:26:20 am »
I recently watched the TV series adaptation of the John le Carre novel Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, done by the BBC in 1979.  I don't think I had seen it since I watched the broadcast of it on PBS Masterpiece Theater, in 1980. It was excellent, especially the acting by Sir Alec Guinness as George Smiley. I found the episodes uploaded to YouTube; here is the playlist:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQDCbCZthZTQ3COwl0T9KptkE8oBKVAF_&si=m3r-JPDHxhftGl9O

The sequel series Smiley's People is there as well:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQDCbCZthZTS0g2JgTPbd3v3r8x4gaSlt&si=GX7RDGyp0zmCmCOX

Really, there is so much old and obscure TV episodes and movies that you can find uploaded to YouTube. I find that I don't have to watch much else now.
Let it burn.

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #240 on: December 03, 2023, 12:05:52 pm »
I agree that there is a virtual gold mine of old BBC miniseries from the 1970s and 1980s that are far superior to the dreck being produced today.

I just finished watching Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, and Smiley's People myself, and am now watching Rumpole of the Bailey.  I love Leo McKern!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qabMDAqYAig&list=PLEepRf6m5CiVUNd0q8o0Utpdz4jwAnOgj&index=1

aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #241 on: December 03, 2023, 05:30:29 pm »
I agree that there is a virtual gold mine of old BBC miniseries from the 1970s and 1980s that are far superior to the dreck being produced today.

I just finished watching Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, and Smiley's People myself, and am now watching Rumpole of the Bailey.  I love Leo McKern!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qabMDAqYAig&list=PLEepRf6m5CiVUNd0q8o0Utpdz4jwAnOgj&index=1

Have you seen the original House of Cards or
Yes Minister? Those were really good. @Timber Rattler

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #242 on: December 03, 2023, 09:20:02 pm »
Have you seen the original House of Cards or
Yes Minister? Those were really good. @Timber Rattler

I have indeed seen both...Ian Richardson's Francis Urquhart was even slimier than Kevin Spacey's Frank Underwood! 

And Jim Hacker is pretty much every member of Congress.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #243 on: December 03, 2023, 10:47:25 pm »

"I agree that there is a virtual gold mine of old BBC miniseries from the 1970s and 1980s that are far superior to the dreck being produced today"

Yes, public television from fifty years ago put on far better shows than what we see now. People might also forget that Bill Buckley's "Firing Line" was also a public tv. Today's public tv is mostly cooking shows, sewing/quilting shows, and politically correct shows about liberals pet groups.
The huge irony of the people who are against public tv and who support cable tv is that the shows you pay a private cable company for mostly put on dreck I don't want to watch.  And there is not one, single show on regular network tv that I like to watch. The last network show I liked was CSI-Las Vegas.
There are a few shows on cable here and there, but they're pretty rare.
Remember when they said that if you get cable, you can watch the shows you want to watch like history shows on the history channel? Or intellectual shows on the Learning Channel?
Then those cable networks do a bait and switch, and you're looking at a lineup of shows about looking for aliens or ghosts or other assorted lowbrow crap.
 9999hair out0000

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #244 on: December 03, 2023, 10:48:32 pm »
I have indeed seen both...Ian Richardson's Francis Urquhart was even slimier than Kevin Spacey's Frank Underwood! 

And Jim Hacker is pretty much every member of Congress.
Richardson played two or three different characters. That HOC was one of the best shows ever put on tv.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #245 on: December 03, 2023, 11:12:18 pm »
Watching CSI-Las Vegas now. Since there are 16 seasons  with  20-25 episodes per season,this should  keep me out of trouble for a while.

When it starts to drag a little from too much exposure at one time,I switch  back to The Walking Dead or some other program for  a few days. HUGE Walking Dead fan,and if you  had told me that would have  happened before I watched  it,I  would  have thought  you had either lost your mind,or were trying to  make fun of me.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #246 on: December 03, 2023, 11:26:25 pm »
Did finally get to see Ridley Scott's NAPOLEON this afternoon.

That's 3 hours of my life I'll never get back.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #247 on: December 04, 2023, 12:38:08 am »
Been a long day, needed some relief so watching Love At First Bite, "Count Dracula : No. With you, never a quickie. Always a longie."   :silly:

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #248 on: December 04, 2023, 12:48:05 am »
Did finally get to see Ridley Scott's NAPOLEON this afternoon.

That's 3 hours of my life I'll never get back.
Read a lot of the reviews. What is your big criticism of it?

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #249 on: December 04, 2023, 02:40:47 am »
Read a lot of the reviews. What is your big criticism of it?

@goatprairie

I'm being unfair. 

Was sitting in the 1st row...at the end.
Despite being in a leather recliner, it was not a good perspective
The Dolby sounds of the canon battles shook the theater

It was just too long winded for my taste.
And despite the battle conquests, it's a love story.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2023, 02:49:30 am by DCPatriot »