Author Topic: Unemployment at lowest level in 54 years, economy smashes expectations  (Read 960 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Unemployment at lowest level since 1969 as economy smashes expectations
by Zachary Halaschak, Economics Reporter |
February 03, 2023 08:32 AM

The economy gained 517,000 jobs in December, smashing expectations, in another sign that the Federal Reserve’s interest rate hikes have yet to harm the labor market substantially.

The figures reported by the Bureau of Labor Statistics on Friday morning provide reassurance about the strength of the economy. The unemployment rate fell to 3.4%, the lowest rate since 1969.

The results of the employment report come as a big surprise for economists. The consensus estimate was that the economy would add just 185,000 jobs and unemployment would actually rise by a tenth of a percentage point rather than falling to 3.4%.

“A fundamental surprise,” Brian Marks, executive director of the University of New Haven’s Entrepreneurship and Innovation Program, told the Washington Examiner after the report was released. “Going forward, this sort of signals to the Fed to continue down its path of increasing rates.”

Friday’s report is being closely scrutinized as it comes just days after the Federal Reserve voted to raise interest rates once again, albeit by a smaller amount. A stronger jobs report shows that rate hikes aren’t yet having the punch officials hoped and could cause the Fed to lean toward a more aggressive monetary stance in the new year.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/economy/economy-again-beats-expectations-with-517-000-jobs-in-december-unemployment-falls-to-3-4
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Kamaji

Re: Unemployment at lowest level in 54 years, economy smashes expectations
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2023, 02:36:41 pm »
Uh-huh.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2023, 02:40:02 pm »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2023, 02:45:54 pm »
December is almost exclusively transitory, seasonal work.

Figures lie and liars figure...
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2023, 02:49:32 pm »
 8bs8
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2023, 02:56:48 pm »
...and Biden has called a presser to applaud this great news!
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2023, 03:03:43 pm »

While inflation is still roars 3-4X everything we have seen the past 30 years?

What a hollow victory, as we watch the dollar shrink like a deflating balloon.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2023, 03:09:06 pm »
And yet, inflation is through the roof, one of man's cheapest sources of protein (eggs) are now as expensive as beef in some areas, baby formula still in short supply...and on, and on.  More gaslighting BS from the penultimate BS artist.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2023, 03:47:54 pm »
AlexGangitano
@AlexGangitano
·
33s
BIDEN: “Do I take any blame for inflation? No. Because it was already there when I got here, man. Remember what the economy was like when I got here? Jobs were hemorrhaging, inflation was rising, we weren’t manufacturing a damn thing here... that’s why I don’t."
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2023, 03:50:51 pm »
Greg Price
@greg_price11
·
7m
Reporter: "Do you take any blame for inflation?"

Biden: "No"

Reporter: "Why not?"

Biden: "Because it was already here when I got here, man"

(Inflation was 2.4% when Biden took office and rose to a record high of 9.1%)
Support the USO

Offline catfish1957

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2023, 03:54:38 pm »
(Speechless) :thud:

Online Hoodat

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2023, 04:05:51 pm »
Employment today is 1.3% higher than where it was in March 2020.  That comes to an annual growth rate of 0.48%.  Let's celebrate mediocrity.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Idiot

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2023, 04:05:55 pm »
Of course unemployment is low.  People are having to take on 2-3 jobs just to pay for the danged groceries.

Offline catfish1957

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2023, 04:10:32 pm »
Greg Price
@greg_price11
·
7m
Reporter: "Do you take any blame for inflation?"

Biden: "No"

Reporter: "Why not?"

Biden: "Because it was already here when I got here, man"

(Inflation was 2.4% when Biden took office and rose to a record high of 9.1%)

Flip a coin on the worst level of outrage at this exchange...

(1) The pedophile POTUS  lies out of his ass
(2) The MSM lets him get away with it

Online Hoodat

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2023, 04:21:31 pm »
Number of people not in labor force:

Jan 2020 - 95.05 million
Jan 2023 - 100.13 million

Even with more people reaching retirement age in the last three years, there are still over 5 million Americans who were working before Covid, but are now being paid by our government to not work.

Add these 5 million to our unemployment number, and the unemployment rate increases to 6.5%.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2023, 04:51:14 pm »
Number of people not in labor force:

Jan 2020 - 95.05 million
Jan 2023 - 100.13 million

Even with more people reaching retirement age in the last three years, there are still over 5 million Americans who were working before Covid, but are now being paid by our government to not work.

Add these 5 million to our unemployment number, and the unemployment rate increases to 6.5%.

While it takes two solid months to schedule a colonoscopy. 

Ironic huh?

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2023, 05:26:00 pm »
Um, if the unemployment rate is so dang low, why do the democrats keep 'importing' more 'workers' from south of our border to fill the jobs that Americans aren't?

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2023, 03:16:40 pm »

Disconnected From Reality – BLS Employment Report Showing 517,000 Jobs Gained in January is Laughable
February 4, 2023 | Sundance | 87 Comments

The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) published a jobs report yesterday [DATA LINK] that has stunned the professional financial class.   However, those who have followed the BLS data assemblies were laughing – not surprised.  Eventually, if this continues, the BLS pretzel logic will start using terms like “eleventy.”

Throughout 2022, the BLS modified the underlying data they used to assemble their jobs reporting.  The latest release shows that 517,000 jobs were gained in the labor market, despite every other economic indicator showing we are in an economy of contraction.  The question becomes, why the disconnect?

There are two surveys that make up the BLS reporting.  The Household survey is conducted by calling people and just asking if they are employed.  The Payroll survey is conducted by reviewing large and medium businesses, no small businesses are included, and that plays a role in the disconnect.

more
https://theconservativetreehouse.com/blog/2023/02/04/disconnected-from-reality-bls-employment-report-showing-517000-jobs-gained-in-january-is-laughable/
Support the USO

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2023, 03:25:25 pm »
Figures don't lie but liars sure can figure!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2023, 12:47:49 am »
"CBS: New Poll shows 61% of Americans rate the economy as "BAD" under Joe Biden". (Video)

https://mobile.twitter.com/bennyjohnson/status/1622296597823426562

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2023, 03:56:00 am »
How many have been regarded as "left the workforce"?

The denominator here is the key.

Considering those who have no unemployment benefits left are not officially "unemployed", the books can be cooked a number of ways.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Hoodat

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2023, 06:23:52 am »
How many have been regarded as "left the workforce"?

Five million since first announcing 'two weeks to flatten the curve'.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2023, 06:35:48 am »
Five million since first announcing 'two weeks to flatten the curve'.
I wonder what percentage of those are able-bodied and of working age (not retired).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis