Author Topic: Trump: DeSantis ‘Begged Me for an Endorsement’ – ‘There Were Tears Coming Down from His Eyes’  (Read 1280 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump: DeSantis ‘Begged Me for an Endorsement’ – ‘There Were Tears Coming Down from His Eyes’

Jeff Poor 2 Feb 2023

During an interview that aired on Thursday’s broadcast of Hugh Hewitt’s nationally syndicated radio show, former President Donald Trump, now a candidate for the 2024 Republican presidential nomination, took a shot at his possible rival in the contest, Gov. Ron DeSantis (R-FL).

Trump recounted his version of DeSantis seeking his endorsement in the 2018 Florida Republican gubernatorial primary against then-Florida Agriculture Commissioner Adam Putnam.

According to the former president, DeSantis begged for the endorsement. Trump also claimed he had to help DeSantis in his run in the general election against then-Tallahassee, FL Mayor Andrew Gillum, the Democratic Party’s nominee.

“[R]on DeSantis got elected because of me,” he said. “You remember he had nothing. He was dead. He was leaving the race. He came over, and he begged me, begged me for an endorsement. He was getting ready to drop out. I gave him an endorsement, and as soon as I gave that endorsement, in fact, I said you’re going to have a hard time. He was running against Adam Putnam, the commissioner of agriculture, who had a massive lead. He was running for eight years while he was commissioner. He had $40 million in cash. I believe it was forty, and he was up in the poll massively by, you know, tremendous, but not catchable, not even catchable. He said if you endorse me, I’ll win. And there were tears coming down from his eyes. He said if you endorse me, I’ll win. I said you know what, Ron, Ron was one of 150 people that was on television. I mean, Jim Jordan was the best, and others were great. But he was one of 150, Hugh, that was on television, and he was supporting me on the impeachment hoax number one and a little bit on the impeachment hoax number two. And I said, I don’t know Adam Putnam, so we’ll do it. So I end up doing it, and he wins. They say it was like a bomb went off, just a bomb just totally went off. From the moment I endorsed him, he went from losing by numbers that are not catchable to winning easily.”

“Then I got him past the crackhead who was the hottest person in the entire Democrat Party at the time,” Trump continued, referring to former Tallahassee, FL Mayor Andrew Gillum. “You know, he slightly took a different position afterwards, but that’s all right. Him and Stacey Abrams were the two hottest politicians that, they were going to be the party of the future, the Democrats of the future. And I got, I did two rallies, two or three rallies, average size like massive. They were massive. I said you’re going to win, Ron, and he said I don’t think so. Nobody thought he could win. First of all, I got him the nomination and purely got it. And people who know the campaign of Adam Putnam will tell you because they say everything collapsed the moment I pressed that trigger. And then I got him into the general, and then they say will you run against the president like two years later. Will you run against the president, and he says I don’t want to talk about that? This is not something we’re talking about now. I said that’s not a very good answer.”

more
https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2023/02/02/trump-desantis-begged-me-for-an-endorsement-there-were-tears-coming-down-from-his-eyes/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline corbe

Apparently, you can take a child out of the Bronx, but you can't the Bronx out of the child.

2016 Redeaux
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
DeSantis paid whatever debt he owed Trump by supporting him in 2020, and by delivering Florida's electoral votes to Trump in that election.  But Trump lost nationally anyway, and there is no reason to believe he'd be any more popular with voters in 2024 than he was in 2020.

DeSantis has no obligation to support another losing Trump campaign in 2024.  The debt was paid.  And certainly, even if he chooses not to run himself, he has no obligation to support a guy who already is attacking him over any other candidates.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 11:04:03 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Kamaji

DeSantis paid whatever debt he owed Trump by supporting him in 2020, and by delivering Florida's electoral votes to Trump in that election.  But Trump lost nationally anyway, and there is no reason to believe he'd be any more popular with voters in 2024 than he was in 2020.

DeSantis has no obligation to support another losing Trump campaign in 2024.  The debt was paid.  And certainly, even if he chooses not to run himself, he has no obligation to support a guy who already is attacking him over any other candidates.

:thumbsup:

Offline cato potatoe

Back on planet earth … Donald was unpopular in 2018.  The GOP lost 40 house seats, 24 of 35 senate races, and the dems picked up seven governorships.  You nearly had a black radical in the governor’s mansion in Georgia and Beta in the senate.  The degree to which Trump boosted Ron is debatable. 

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Trump the chump has lost his mind.  How can anyone but RiV take him seriously?
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
    Apparently, you can take a child out of the Bronx, but you can't the Bronx out of the child.

2016 Redeaux

Trump is a POS.  Time to kick him to the curb.

Offline roamer_1

DeSantis weeping and begging... I cry Bullsh*t.

Online Wingnut

DeSantis weeping and begging... I cry Bullsh*t.

Anyone who thinks Trump can win please stand up.

Offline Idiot

He can't possibly win.  Trump is his own worst enemy.

Online DefiantMassRINO

There's no crying in the Republican Party.

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Trump: DeSantis ‘Begged Me for an Endorsement’ – ‘There Were Tears Coming Down from His Eyes’

Jeff Poor 2 Feb 2023

During an interview that aired on Thursday’s broadcast of Hugh Hewitt’s nationally syndicated radio show, former President Donald Trump, now a candidate for the 2024 Republican presidential nomination, took a shot at his possible rival in the contest, Gov. Ron DeSantis (R-FL).

Trump recounted his version of DeSantis seeking his endorsement in the 2018 Florida Republican gubernatorial primary against then-Florida Agriculture Commissioner Adam Putnam.

According to the former president, DeSantis begged for the endorsement. Trump also claimed he had to help DeSantis in his run in the general election against then-Tallahassee, FL Mayor Andrew Gillum, the Democratic Party’s nominee.

“[R]on DeSantis got elected because of me,” he said. “You remember he had nothing. He was dead. He was leaving the race. He came over, and he begged me, begged me for an endorsement. He was getting ready to drop out. I gave him an endorsement, and as soon as I gave that endorsement, in fact, I said you’re going to have a hard time. He was running against Adam Putnam, the commissioner of agriculture, who had a massive lead. He was running for eight years while he was commissioner. He had $40 million in cash. I believe it was forty, and he was up in the poll massively by, you know, tremendous, but not catchable, not even catchable. He said if you endorse me, I’ll win. And there were tears coming down from his eyes. He said if you endorse me, I’ll win. I said you know what, Ron, Ron was one of 150 people that was on television. I mean, Jim Jordan was the best, and others were great. But he was one of 150, Hugh, that was on television, and he was supporting me on the impeachment hoax number one and a little bit on the impeachment hoax number two. And I said, I don’t know Adam Putnam, so we’ll do it. So I end up doing it, and he wins. They say it was like a bomb went off, just a bomb just totally went off. From the moment I endorsed him, he went from losing by numbers that are not catchable to winning easily.”

“Then I got him past the crackhead who was the hottest person in the entire Democrat Party at the time,” Trump continued, referring to former Tallahassee, FL Mayor Andrew Gillum. “You know, he slightly took a different position afterwards, but that’s all right. Him and Stacey Abrams were the two hottest politicians that, they were going to be the party of the future, the Democrats of the future. And I got, I did two rallies, two or three rallies, average size like massive. They were massive. I said you’re going to win, Ron, and he said I don’t think so. Nobody thought he could win. First of all, I got him the nomination and purely got it. And people who know the campaign of Adam Putnam will tell you because they say everything collapsed the moment I pressed that trigger. And then I got him into the general, and then they say will you run against the president like two years later. Will you run against the president, and he says I don’t want to talk about that? This is not something we’re talking about now. I said that’s not a very good answer.”

12 likely lies, distortions, and implausibilities in a 2 paragraph blurped interview.  This has to be a record for this blow hard.   Does he realize conservatives are laughing their asses off at him?  Yep, the implosion continues.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 08:26:40 am by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online LMAO

Lol

He’s collapsing
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online LMAO

Anybody who thinks his story is true please stand up
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 01:13:08 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Online Wingnut

Anybody who thinks this story is true please stand up

:raise hand:

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Prayers for Trump to grow a filter for that mouth of his, or a zipper for his lips. 
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 11:48:18 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Online Maj. Bill Martin

Anybody who thinks his story is true please stand up

Even if it was true, Trump doing this is exactly why he doesn't have any political allies of real significance.   And you can't govern effectively or implement long-term solutions by yourself, even as President.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Even if it was true, Trump doing this is exactly why he doesn't have any political allies of real significance.   And you can't govern effectively or implement long-term solutions by yourself, even as President.

And to add to that point......

The mere fact that Trump gave Fauxci free reign over the pandemic response is a good enough reason for me to question his judgement on critical matters.   Tony boy was a poliitical hack on the Big Pharma take, and once its really looked into in depth, might have a lot to do with creation of the disaster itself.

I say we don't reward failure.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline roamer_1

Been saying that all the way along, @Maj. Bill Martin ... That's why this messianic populism never works out.  :shrug:

Online Maj. Bill Martin

Been saying that all the way along, @Maj. Bill Martin ... That's why this messianic populism never works out.  :shrug:

That's an excellent descriptor.

It's also been one of the problems with Central/South American politics for a long time.  There seems to be a cultural predisposition to the "caudillo" style of leader.  The "man on horseback".  The mindset that some particular figure is "the only one who can save us" is a perversion of the republican ideal that the people themselves are the real source moral strength and virtue, and don't need to rely on any particular one person.  The rejection of that mindset that flowed from Washington's refusal to serve more than two terms is still the single most important decision made by any American President, and why he still has to be on the top of the list of our best Presidents.  Basically, the message he sent was "you will be fine without me because it has never been about me".
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 08:56:41 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Hoodat

Trump the chump has lost his mind.  How can anyone but RiV take him seriously?

Denial?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online LMAO

Barry Goldwater

Offline roamer_1

That's an excellent descriptor.

It's also been one of the problems with Central/South American politics for a long time.  There seems to be a cultural predisposition to the "caudillo" style of leader.  The "man on horseback".  The mindset that some particular figure is "the only one who can save us" is a perversion of the republican ideal that the people themselves are the real source moral strength and virtue, and don't need to rely on any particular one person.  The rejection of that mindset that flowed from Washington's refusal to serve more than two terms is still the single most important decision made by any American President, and why he still has to be on the top of the list of our best Presidents.  Basically, the message he sent was "you will be fine without me because it has never been about me".

Very, very well said.  :beer: