Author Topic: Bill would lower cost of college for undocumented immigrants in Indiana  (Read 182 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Bill would lower cost of college for undocumented immigrants in Indiana

By Mark Peterson
Published: Feb. 1, 2023 at 6:17 PM EST|Updated: 13 hours ago
INDIANAPOLIS (WNDU) - They gave it the old college try on Wednesday at the Indiana Statehouse.

Those who want to lower the cost of higher education for undocumented immigrants testified for a bill that would do just that.

“Indiana is one of two that prohibits in-state (tuition) for undocumented students. Us and Georgia,” said Rachel Santos with the Indiana Latino Institute. “Over 20 states, both blue and red states, have provisions that allow undocumented students to pay in-state tuition rates, and seven states go even a step further to allow, not only in-state tuition rates, but allow state aid to go to those undocumented students.”

Indiana is one of two states that prohibits undocumented students access to in-state tuition.

In Indiana on the average, in-state tuition is $16,600 cheaper than it is for out-of-state residents.

Furthermore, undocumented students do not have access to state or federal financial aid to help pay for college.

https://www.wndu.com/2023/02/01/bill-would-lower-cost-college-undocumented-immigrants-indiana/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Bill would lower cost of college for undocumented immigrants in Indiana
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2023, 12:30:55 pm »
I think it is good American citizens are being denied the same kind of help.  Why should American states stand up for their citizens? :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kamaji

Re: Bill would lower cost of college for undocumented immigrants in Indiana
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2023, 12:32:57 pm »
They should not be permitted to attend, period.  Each seat taken by an illegal, whether paying in-state or out-of-state, is a seat that is denied to a U.S. citizen or a resident alien who followed the law.