Author Topic: McCarthy sets Thursday vote on removing Omar from panel as second holdout backs her ouster  (Read 701 times)

Offline corbe

McCarthy sets Thursday vote on removing Omar from panel as second holdout backs her ouster

BY MYCHAEL SCHNELL - 02/01/23 7:50 PM ET

Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) said the House will vote on a resolution to remove Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) from the House Foreign Affairs Committee on Thursday, one day after a second Republican holdout — Rep. Ken Buck (Colo.) — revealed that he would back the congresswoman’s ouster.

McCarthy’s announcement of a Thursday vote came shortly after the House approved, by unanimous consent, Democratic assignments for the Foreign Affairs Committee — officially installing Omar on the panel and setting up a floor battle with McCarthy and House GOP leadership. Republicans have sought to remove her from the panel as punishment for comments she made in the past that were labeled antisemitic.

“Oh, so now we can vote her off,” McCarthy told reporters after learning that the House approved the assignments. Thursday’s schedule released by House Majority Leader Steve Scalise (R-La.) confirmed that the vote will take place.

“We’ll have enough votes even though there’s some members who are out, unfortunately, because of family,” McCarthy added.

<..snip..>

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/3840355-mccarthy-sets-thursday-vote-on-removing-omar-from-panel-as-second-holdout-backs-her-ouster/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline corbe

House removes Ilhan Omar from Foreign Affairs Committee in party-line vote

by Juliegrace Brufke, Congressional Reporter
February 02, 2023 12:32 PM

The House passed a resolution to remove progressive Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-MN) from her position on the House Committee on Foreign Affairs in a party-line vote on Wednesday.

Top Republicans vowed to remove her from the panel, citing her inflammatory remarks made in 2019 about Israel, with the Minnesota Democrat having suggested politicians who support the Jewish state are motivated by campaign dollars — remarks that were slammed as antisemitic by members on both sides of the aisle. The House ultimately voted 218-211, with one Republican — Rep. David Joyce (R-OH), a member of the Ethics Committee, voting "present."

Ahead of the vote, Rep. Michael Guest (R-MS) argued that Democrats set a "dangerous precedent" in removing two Republicans from their committee assignments but said the GOP's resolution is narrowly tailored because it still allows for her to remain on other panels.

"Today's resolution as it relates to Rep. Omar details six statements she made as a sitting member of Congress that, under the totality of the circumstances, disqualify her from serving on the Committee on Foreign Affairs," he said on the floor.

<..snip..>

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/house/house-removes-ilhan-omar-from-foreign-affairs-committee-in-party-line-vote
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
She should be removed from congress and tried for her crimes. And she isn't the only one either.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Any day a Muzzie spy is removed from the equation is a good one.

To all my fellow Briefers.....     :beer:
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
This a good day for America,  An America hater was removed from a powerful committee.  Now remove her Muzzie ass from the country.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Ilham Omar vote was hilarious…

Greg Price
@greg_price11
Democrats scream NOOOOOOOOOOO when voting against the resolution to remove Ilhan Omar from the Foreign Affairs committee

https://twitter.com/i/status/1621193680936747009

Disclose.tv
@disclosetv
NOW - House Republicans have passed a resolution to remove Rep. Ilhan Omar from the House Foreign Affairs Committee over past comments about Israel.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1621200199606485000

Offline Right_in_Virginia

"Rashida Tlaib literally breaks down in tears over Ilhan Omar being removed from the Foreign Affairs Committee.". (Video)

https://mobile.twitter.com/greg_price11/status/1621191245606289408

"Rep. Cori Bush on removing Ilhan Omar from the Foreign Affairs Cmte: "The white supremacy happening is unbelievable. Ilhan Omar has been harassed at her job for simply existing as a Muslim woman in Congress.". (Video)

https://mobile.twitter.com/greg_price11/status/1621189068343185409

"Rep. Ilhan Omar speaks ahead of the vote to oust her from the Foreign Affairs Committee: "My leadership and voice will not be diminished if I'm not on this committee for one term. My voice will get louder and stronger...take your vote or not. I am here to stay.". (Video)

https://mobile.twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1621195740818153474

Offline mountaineer

What a freakin' clown show these Democrats are.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

Ilhan Omar
@IlhanMN

I will continue to speak for the families who are seeking justice around the world— whether they are displaced in refugee camps or hiding under their bed somewhere like I was.

I didn’t come to Congress to be silent. I came to Congress to be their voice.

2:11 PM · Feb 2, 2023

Offline Kamaji

Ilhan Omar
@IlhanMN

I will continue to speak for the families who are seeking justice around the world— whether they are displaced in refugee camps or hiding under their bed somewhere like I was.

I didn’t come to Congress to be silent. I came to Congress to be their voice.

2:11 PM · Feb 2, 2023

Uh, no, Ms. Omar, you were sent to Congress to speak on behalf of your constituents, and anyone outside of your district, no matter how meritorious, is not somebody you have the right to speak for while in Congress.

If that is what you want to do, then please do so elsewhere.

Offline mountaineer

Coalition for Jewish Values
@cjvalues
We are gratified that the House has finally removed @IlhanMN from Foreign Affairs.
We are repulsed, however, by the use of the false charge of racism to attempt to dismiss her antisemitic bigotry. The charge is ludicrous, vile, & dangerous. Hate cannot be tolerated from anyone.
12:49 PM · Feb 2, 2023

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
"Rashida Tlaib literally breaks down in tears over Ilhan Omar being removed from the Foreign Affairs Committee.". (Video)

https://mobile.twitter.com/greg_price11/status/1621191245606289408

@Right_in_Virginia

Dat bees one FUGLY woman! (I THINK it is a woman?)
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!