Author Topic: How a Grad Student Resurrected an Ancient Naval Weapon Not Seen in 1,500 Years  (Read 132 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
How a Grad Student Resurrected an Ancient Naval Weapon Not Seen in 1,500 Years
The naval ram was used in antiquity to smash enemy ships.

BY KYLE MIZOKAMIPUBLISHED: JAN 31, 2023

Courtesy Stephen DeCasien
The naval ram was a bronze device fitted to Greek and Roman warships.
In the 5th century B.C., the weapon fell out of favor as Rome solidified control of the Mediterranean Sea.

Stephen DeCasien, a student of nautical archaeology at Texas A&M University, has created a naval ram, a nearly 3,000-year-old weapon used by the ancient Greeks and Romans. Since the pandemic had thwarted DeCasien’s ability to travel abroad and study naval rams, he decided to create his own. Using traditional techniques, he built the same kind of formidable, 400-pound bronze three-bladed weapon employed on ships to disable or sink an impending enemy.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/weapons/a42538670/grad-student-builds-ancient-naval-ram/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The Japanese prepared for the invasion of the homeland by the US by putting 500 pounds of explosives in the bow of speedboats which were to ram US ships.   THAT seems like a more useful idea (drone boats) than a ram. :pondering:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Rams were used in the US Civil War....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: