Author Topic: Is Washington’s arms control theology finally on the verge of collapse?  (Read 71 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Is Washington’s arms control theology finally on the verge of collapse?
BY JOHN BOLTON, OPINION CONTRIBUTOR - 02/01/23 8:00 AM ET

Three freshly installed Republican House chairmen of key national security committees are raising potentially fatal issues for the New START arms-control treaty between the U.S. and Russia. In letters to Biden Cabinet officials, the chairmen ask whether Russia is in material breach of the agreement. Along with the administration’s failing, misguided effort to rejoin the flawed 2015 Iran nuclear deal, one could ask whether Washington’s arms control theology is finally verging on collapse.

The House chairmen of the Foreign Affairs, Armed Services and Intelligence Committees (Reps. Michael McCaul (R-Texas), Mike Rogers (R-Ala.) and Michael Turner (R-Ohio), respectively) are men to be reckoned with. Although the Senate has constitutional power to ratify treaties, for the next two years, House Republicans can require extensive scrutiny of Russia’s New START performance.

https://thehill.com/opinion/national-security/3838556-is-washingtons-arms-control-theology-finally-on-the-verge-of-collapse/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson